Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Hi- I been told that Rhus tox will help my dogs athritis. She

Hi- I been told that Rhus tox will help my dogs athritis. She is unable to jump up on things ( although can jump down and when you try to pick her up behind th efront legs she yelps.

I would like to give this ago and have some 6c tablets but unsure what sort of dosage i should give her. She is a medium sized shit zu dog and weighs approx 10kilo

Regards,

carole

Dr. Andy :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.

Dr. Andy :

This is not a common homeopathy used in pets.

Dr. Andy :

In addition, with the degree of difficulty she is having, I have no idea why someone would not recommend the following types of treatment, which may be exceedingly better than this supplement.

Dr. Andy :

A few common medications prescribed by vets (not all options,but many of the most common choices): NSAIDS,

Dr. Andy :

Rimadyl

Dr. Andy :

Deramaxx

Dr. Andy :

Metacam

Dr. Andy :

Tramadol

Dr. Andy :

Muscle Relaxants

Dr. Andy :

Gabapentin

Dr. Andy :

Robaxin

Dr. Andy :

Pain Control

Dr. Andy :

*A muscle relaxant is generally used for a few days and complements a anti-inflammatory or pain medication

Dr. Andy :

Supplements:

Dr. Andy :

Currently, one of my favorite joint support supplements on the market is Dasuquin or Cosequin. Here is some more information about it. Many veterinarians and clients have observed that after a few months on a quality joint support product, they can often reduce the dose of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications there pets may already be taking. A supplement can take several weeks to observe benefit, so it is important additional anti-inflammatory or pain medications are used in the meantime.

Dr. Andy :

Also, an incredible clinically tested food to help with joint problems is J/D.

Dr. Andy :

J/D Diet

Dr. Andy :

Another supplement to review would be Adequan injections for joint health. These injections are also quite popular and have helped many pets with arthritic disease.

Dr. Andy :

Additional supplements for dog pain:

Dr. Andy :

Tumeric

Dr. Andy :

I would not bother, at all, with Rhus tox. Well worth a veterinary consultation to get a good non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, start a quality joint support supplement, and see if helpful.

Dr. Andy :

If you do, she is a smaller size pet, so would only wean on to this supplement to try and avoid stomach upset.

Dr. Andy :

I have also researched, and find the "lack of" dosing suggestion for Rhus tox concerning.

Dr. Andy :

So, I could only suggest if you were to give it, you only start with 1 tablet for a few days, assess response, then build up to 2 tablets, and so on...

Dr. Andy :

Make sure your vet is aware you are giving this product.

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck

Dr. Andy :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Andy :

If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know. I apologize if you had any problems getting into the chat or receiving your answer. Please let me know if you had any difficulties.

Dr. Andy :

I greatly appreciate when you click “Accept”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed. This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click “accept”.

Dr. Andy :

REMEMBER: Even after you click a accept, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

Dr. Andy :

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: Dr. Andy

Dr. Andy :

Based on the above, starting the 6c seems suitable, but again, unknown of how much benefit for her by itself.

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to close the question by clicking “accept”. My family greatly appreciates it. Or, let me know if there is anything else I may add to try and be more helpful or informative.

Dr. Andy :

Customer:

Thats fine i will not give the rhus tox but start a joint supplement whilst waiting a vets appointment. Would you recommend any one over the other at all that you have suggested.

Dr. Andy :

For joint support:

Dr. Andy :

Love Dasuquin...and its available over-the-internet

Dr. Andy :

But, takes about 4-6 weeks potentially for best benefit.

Customer:

Thats great i will go for that and book in to see the vet for pain releif in the meantime.

Dr. Andy :

Your welcome. Good lUck

Dr. Andy :

Even after you click "accept" you will still always be able to return to answer for review if needed.