Overdose of rabies. vet accidentally gave two rabies vaccinations within three days to my 3 month old puppy who weighs

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: overdose of rabies. vet accidentally gave two rabies vaccinations within three days to my 3 month old puppy who weighs about 6 kilos.
Puppy next morning vomiting, diarrhea. Took puppy to vet, she gave her iv fluid sub cont. anti vomit and something for diarrhea. Puppy did well until this evening, had explosive diarrhea and vomited clear fluid twice in short succession.
I am traveling outside of the USA and I am an intermediate Spanish speaker. I'm afraid I'm missing something.
How should the puppy be treated? I'm really worried about her. She is lethargic (since being medicated, vet said that is to be expected), no interest in food but has had water. She perks up when she sees me.
Answered by PetDoctor2005 in 5 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
PetDoctor2005
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

MissouriVet :

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a veterinarian and would be happy to help!

MissouriVet :

When were the rabies vaccines given? It sounds like just a few days ago?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

The first one was four days ago the second one was yesterday at 7pm

MissouriVet :

It sounds like the vomiting/diarrhea only started after the second rabies, is this right?

correct, no symptoms from the first shot. i adopted the puppy yesterday. The same vet gave her the first vaccination.

I spoke with the foster parent

MissouriVet :

The fact that she had two rabies will not likely hurt her. It is more likely that she is either having an allergic reaction to the second shot (with allergic reactions to vaccines, it often causes vomiting and lethargy and can occur only after the second vaccine given). If that is not the case, then it could be a coincidental problem, we see other problems like parvovirus in puppies

MissouriVet :

If she was given something to help with the vomiting and diarrhea, but still not eating then that is a problem. Puppies can get dehydrated quickly.

MissouriVet :

Oh, I saw she is drinking some...good

MissouriVet :

The injections for the vomiting/diarrhea should wear off about 12-24hours after giving. So if she has not ate by tomorrow or starts vomiting again, I would take her in to have a quick parvo stool test done on her.

MissouriVet :

If she is just worn out from the vaccinations and vomiting, then she should get better each day, otherwise I would look for another problem causing these signs.

MissouriVet :

Does this answer your question?

Is there anything else I should ask the vet or some medication in particular?

MissouriVet :

In the meantime you could give another food source to entice her, such as baby food or chicken/rice or lean hamburger/rice. If she still won't eat, giving a sugar supplement like Karo, honey, or maple syrup to keep sugar levels up.

ok, thank you.

MissouriVet :

I would ask the vet to check and make sure she seems well hydrated and make sure she has been dewormed. Also ask if they see parvo virus or distemper in your area.

ok thats helpful

MissouriVet :

But again, a puppy that hasn't ate for more than a day or two, tells me we need to look further into what is causing it. By that time, the vaccine reaction (if that is what it was) shouldn't be causing those signs.

MissouriVet :

Hopefully "spicing" up the food a little while she is feeling under the weather gets her over the hump!

MissouriVet :

If their stomach is upset, often their regular food is not that tasty, so adding the bland food like chicken/rice helps. You can also try adding some chicken broth to dry kibble to make it tastier.

ok thank you-- what could it be if it isn't allergic? and can parvo be treated

MissouriVet :

If not an allergy, parvo can be life threatening, so if not eating even with adding things to the food, I would test for it. We treat with supportive care like intravenous fluids.

MissouriVet :

So if not eating in the next 12 hours, I would take her back into the vets

MissouriVet :

Good luck and let me know how she does!

MissouriVet :

Any other questions for me?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Read less
unlike
4 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PetDoctor2005
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
PetDoctor2005
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.