Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837

I put on my house dog to get rid of the fleas and keep them off

what can I put on my house dog to get rid of the fleas and keep them off
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Have you used any topical medication so far?

What treatments for the fleas have you tried?

Do you have any other pets in the house?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have only bathe her in dawn dish liquid and water
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

The best topical products on the market today for fleas are Frontline Plus and Advantage. Frontline Plus is probably the safest of the two medications therefore I would recommend using this for her. This topical flea preventive will generally kill adult fleas in about 24-36 hours. The product can be purchased over the counter or from your vet's office.

Though the adult fleas will typically die very quickly you will still most likely have a problem with flea eggs, larvae, and baby fleas that may have fallen off of her and into the carpet, rugs, or bedding in your house. Therefore treating only with a topical medication will not kill off the entire flea life cycle in one dose. IT can sometimes take up to three months to completely kill off the entire flea life cycle (which includes the eggs and larvae). In order to kill the entire flea life cycle in a quicker amount of time you can purchase a product called knockout spray that can be used to spray along the baseboards, carpet, and rugs that she may sleep on. I would also wash her bedding in the hot water cycle in the washer. Vacuuming more often will also speed up the flea life cycle to help kill the fleas quicker.

Here is a link to the knockout spray:

http://www.virbacvet.com/Products/VirbacAnimalHealth-Anti-parasitic/EnvironmentalControl/House/VIRBACKnockout.aspx

Overall use the Frontline Plus and the Knockout spray in combination and you should be able to get rid of the fleas quickly.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Did you have any other questions that I can help you with? I want to make sure that your question is answered completely. If I have provided a helpful answer please do not hesitate to click on the accept, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. Thank you so much in advance!