How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriticalCareVet Your Own Question
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 63982
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
CriticalCareVet is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog has been prescribed tramadol, gabapentin, meloxicam

Resolved Question:

My dog has been prescribed tramadol, gabapentin, meloxicam and doxycycline for possible IVDD. Since both the meloxicam and doxycycline myst be given with food to avoid esophageal and stomach erosion/irritation can they be given together without additional interactions? The meloxicam is once per day, the doxy 2 time daily, both with food. What about giving the tramadol and gabapentin? Give at same time? Separate and if so, how far apart? Gabapentin is 2 x daily and the tramadol is every 8 hours. I want to be safe without further complicating the problem(s) and pain my dog is suffering.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) Yes - meloxicam and doxycyline can be given together, with food.

2) Techncially, the other drugs can be given at the same time - we like not giving all the medications at once, more for stomach upset here - not for interaction concerns.

3) Doxycycline is not commonly used for IVDD - I would ask your vet why this is being used.

4) If you can wait 30-60 minutes between the other drugs, that may make it easier on the stomach.

Please let me know if this helps!
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with For CriticalCareVet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Doxycycline was prescribed "just in case" he has had a tick borne disease exposure that has not yet risen to detectable levels and his WBC was very elevated, indicating some inflammation.


We have been dealing with the possible IVDD diagnosis for a month now with great results in the alleviation in pain with full crate rest and these meds. The reason for the continuation of meds is that he is experiencing some pain with eating. Mouth exam and palpation do not indicate anything wrong (no lumps, bumps, ulcerations, bleeding and only mild tartar build up). When palpating along the muscular part of cervical region pretty aggressively he will exhibit some pain reaction, but he does not cry out, and has full range of motion in cervical area. However, he will only eat soft food that has been cut up into very small pieces. He is normally a kibble eater, but since the IVDD diagnosis will not even attempt hard food and if the piece of food is too large, he will only spit it out. Once it is a smaller piece he will eat it immediately.


Even though I have spoken with the vet(s) about this they don't believe it is related to my having to pry his mouth open to give him his liquid meds and pills. He does struggle a little and I am wondering whether this is causing him some discomfort. He is now being allowed to walk a little on a leash (very little) and is walking and pulling along normally, even with the colder temperatures, so that level of discomfort seems to be alleviated with the meds and crate rest.


I am about at the end of what I know to do to help the little guy (he is a six year old 10 pound poodle). He is becoming desperately in need of a bath and groom, but that is far down on the list of things he needs to have done to him now, just need to get this issue with pain associated with opening his mouth resolved.


I have requested a referral to a neurologist, but will have to wait at least two weeks before they have an opening. He is not considered critical as he can still walk, but some of his original symptoms still remain (the eating/chewing neck sensitivity issue). As this has now been going on for four full weeks I am concerned that we are allowing too much time to elapse if it is some neurological inflammation we are dealing with instead of or in addition to the IVDD.


I will continue to give the medications as prescribed, but I think I should get repeat chem panel as he has had some elevated liver numbers and crystals in his urine in the past.


Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

I would also agree that repeat testing may be needed, especially if the signs are not getting better.

You may also wish to see a specialist, a neurologist for further evaluation.
CriticalCareVet and other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I plan to do both of these ASAP. Are there any secrets to getting into a neurologist more quickly? Emergency vet has written a referral letter, but will not make call to the neurologist for me. I hate to wait two more weeks for an appointment because the do not consider this critical as he can walk. We have already been dealing with this for four weeks and are fearful that we are allowing something to become more difficult to treat as time goes on.

Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately - no secrets...