CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

I have been writing to you about my Maine Coon Cat 2 years

I have been writing to you about my Maine Coon Cat 2 years old, Male. We recently brought a new 5 year old Maine Coon Cat Male into the house and my cat will not accept this new cat. The new cat is so sweet and easy going while mine is very spoiled and quite honory but he is my baby and I want them both to be happy. At first we thought they were going to get along but now my cat does not want the new cat anywhere near him and the new cat is starting to hide. The new cat seems to try to get along with my cat but lately to no avail. They have been together about a month now. I have been using Feliway and it is not helping.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Are they hissing?

Fighting?

How many litterboxes are in the house?

-
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is some hissing and now some fighting. The actual fighting is new. There are two litter boxes in the house but the new cat was occasionally using my cats litter box. Now he won't even come downstairs to my apartment at all. His litter box it upstairs in my daughter's apartment and now is using his own litter box.
While I certainly undertsand you are concerned, this is quite normal behaior when a new cat is brought into the house.

When we have problems such as this, there are several options to consider - often trying to give them a short break from each other and go back to the beginning...to revert back to before the interaction started to re-train them.

1) Place the cats in separate rooms (different litter, food, and water) for a period of time, often at least 3-5 days.

2) During this time, allow each cat to play with a blanket or toy.

3) After a few days, switch the blankets/toys - this will give the other cat a sense of smell / scent of the other cat.

4) After a few days, you can also allow each cat to see or smell each other under a door or through a gate to get used to each other.

Hopefully once a week or 2 passes with these recommendations - they get used to each other, they will be great together!

Most are...but I know it is sometimes hard to watch them get to know each other over the first week...

Moreover, changing the environment in these cases can be helpful.

Often this revolves around enrichment in the environment - giving them activity that is positive, rather than negative - often distracting as well, so they are not focused as much on each other.

Examples include
- Self-Play Toys

- Interactive Toys
- Videos designed for cats

More detailed information can be found here - CLICK THIS LINK

This link may also help (HERE)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”