Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

When sterilizing an instrument pack, the recommended minimum

Customer Question
time and temperature of exposure...
When sterilizing an instrument pack, the recommended minimum time and temperature of exposure to saturated
steam using a gravity displacement autoclave is
A. 30 minutes at 141 degrees
B. 13 minutes at 121degress
C. 31 minutes at 121degress
D. 3. minutes at 131 degrees
I picked answer b.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Veterinary
9/13/2011
Veterinarian: ER Vet, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
ER Vet
ER Vet, Veterinarian
The correct answer is c, 31 minutes at 121 degrees
ER Vet
ER Vet, Veterinarian
Which of the following is true regarding instrument cleaning and care?
a. The detergent used to clean the instruments should have a very low pH.
b. A wire brush should be used to clean Metzenbum scissors.
c. Instruments made of several component parts should be disassembled before cleaning
d. Instruments don't need to be cleaned if they be sterilized.
I picked answer b... I don't know if that is right answer.
A disinfectant noted for its effectives against bacterial spore and viruses is
a. ethyl alcohol
b. benzalkonium chloride.
c. isopropyl alcohol
d. gluteraldehyde
I picked the answer b. I wanted to see my answer is right
The first question, the correct answer is C.,.you want to take apart instruments that are assembled to properly clean them.

The second answer is d. gluteraldehyde
8. which of the following is true of ethylene oxide?
a. ethylene oxide works best in a completely dry environment
b. Ethylene oxide kills by the process of protein denaturation.
c. Decreasing the heat in the ethylene oxide chamber of decreasing the gas concentration decreases the amount of sterilization time required.
d. Ethylene oxide is normally a colorless gas that explosive when mixed with air.
I picked d.
9. The strongest suture material for its size with the greatest knot security is
a. stainless steel.
b. polyglyconate.
c. surgical catgut
d. nylon.
I picked answer c.
8 d is correct
9 a is correct
11. __________ are delicate scissors designed to dissect and cut delicate soft tissues.
a. Littauer scissors
b. De Bakey forceps
c. Adson tissue forceps
d. Metzenbaum scissors
I picked answer d.
12. WHich of the following is a component of a basic anesthesia unit?
a. Vaporizer
b. SUction unit
c. Kern Clamp
d. V-shaped trough
I picked answer A.
Those are both correct
You're assisting a veterinarian who is about to perform a spay procedure ( ovariohysterectomy). To retrieve the uterine horns, the veterinarian will use a
a. snook hook,
b. Finichietto retractor.
c. Michel trephine.
d. Kerrison rongeur
I picked answer a.
A is correct
10. Instruments sterilized with a disinfectant are recommended for
a. all procedures
b. dental procedures.
c. any outpatient surgery.
d. suturing major skin lacerations.
I picked answer c.
13. You're abut to sterilize instruments needed for an upcoming surgical procedure. To flash-sterilize these instruments. You would use a (n)
a. gravity displacement autoclave.
b. prevacuum steam sterilizer
c. filtration sterilizer.
d. ethylene chemical sterilizer.
I picked d.
10 c
13 a
14. To prepare and assist the surgeon, you should
a. Scrub his or her fingernails with a brush.
b. allow him or her to tie the gown for maximum comfort.
c. make sure the cap and mask are on before scrubbing
d. allow him or her to unwrap the surgical pack.
I picked answer b.
15. Which of the following regarding gowns and drapes is correct?
a. Paper gowns are more economical than cloth gowns.
b. paper gowns can be washed and used several times
c. it's desirable for gowns and drapes to absorb blood.
d. Drapes are available only in cloth.
I picked a.
16. The safe storage time for a double-wrapped muslin instrument pack in a closed cabinet is
a. 3 weeks
b. 7 weeks
c. 1 week
d. at least 8 weeks
I picked answer c.
14 c I think. the nurses always have to tie the gown in the back and they always unwrap the pack. The doc scrubs his or her own hands

15. a

16. b
17 Which of the following is true of veterinary surgery?
a. only sterile shoe covers are acceptable footwear in the operating room.
b. Young, healthy animals with no history of medical problems require no blood work.
c. you should place instruments on the operation table without touching them.
d. Animals should be bathed in the operating room.
I picked a.
a is correct
18. You're observing the veterinarian using a trephine. For which procedure is the instrument most appropriate?
a. to grasp and bend orthopedic and pins.
b. to retract the abdominal wall during abdominal exploratory surgery
c. To obtain a sample of a bone for biopsy
d. to grasp bone fragments during repair of a broken bone
I picked answer d.
19. Which of the following is the best procedure for using an autoclave?
a. Place packs in the opposite direction of steam flow, fully pack the autoclave, and allow contents to dry for at least 20 minutes.
b. Place packs in the direction of steam flow, fully pack the autoclave, and allow contents to dry for at least 10 minutes.
c. Place packs in the opposite directions of steam flow, don't fully pack the autoclave, and allow contents to dry for a least 10 minutes
d. Place packs in the direction of steam flow, don't fully pack the autoclave, and allow contents to dry for at least 20 minutes.
I picked answer d.
20. A__________ should be part of every surgical pack.
a. Periosteal elevator
b. Spay hook
c. rongeur
d. sterilization indicator
I picked answer a.
18 c
19 d
20 d
ER Vet
ER Vet
ER Vet, Veterinarian