Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

I Just Found My Dog With His Penis Completely Out. Is It Ok?

I just found my dog...

I just found my dog with his penis completely out with the foreskin pulled all the way back. He was arched like a cat and his tail was between his legs. He is neutered but my other dog is female and is in heat. I'm thinking that it is nothing more than an erection but I've never seen anything like it in any of the male dogs I've owned. He looked uncomfortable. The female was pawing at him and trying to get him to play but he wouldn't move. He has been very lethargic (11 month old pit bull usually very high energy) and last night he woke up panting in a shallow quick way that I've never seen before. He was at daycare for 4 days while I was on a trip and I picked him up yesterday. I gave him a bath when I got home and two hours later he was still shivering so I wrapped him in a blanket. He has barely eaten and he hasn't played with any toys. His penis has retracted but he hasn't seemed like himself since I picked him up yesterday. Any ideas as to what is going on. My vet is already closed.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm very sorry to hear about your guy's situation. When a penis stays out - it could be due to a physical erection, but this should go down pretty quickly after the stimulation is over. If it stays out for a prolonged period of time - over 10 minutes, then this is a situation that is called a paraphimosis. Basically the penis is stuck outside of the sheath. This could be due to a narrow preputial opening or due to something (hair) being wrapped around the base preventing it from going in. This is a very, very serious situation as the penis being out for an extended period of time is very painful and can cause actual damage to the tissue. I would recommend getting him into an ER clinic or getting your vet to see him immediately.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Thank you for your quick response. His penis was only out for a few minutes before it retracted, but it is this incident combined with his other symptoms that concerned me. Should I be concerned about his other symptoms?

Ok. I'm very, very glad to hear that the penis is back in! I re-read your original post and you did say there it went in. I'm sorry I missed that. Is he having any vomiting? Is he drinking ok?

He is not vomiting and is drinking very little water.

Any sneezing or nasal discharge? Does he seem painful anywhere?

None. Mostly just lethargy.

Is he acting any better? If you offer him a little cottage cheese is he interested?

He lapped it up quickly. He seems to be feeling a little better but still seems very tired. I think he'll be OK now. What should I do if his penis protracts again?

I'm glad that he lapped it up. Hopefully he's feeling a little under the weather from the stay at the day care. I've seen numerous ones that have been playing so hard and not sleeping that well when in a situation like that, that when they do get home they crash. If his penis comes out again, it is most likely due to stimulation. The best thing to do is to remove him from the source of that stimulation - the female? - and see what happens over the next 10 minutes or so. Usually it will go in. If it doesn't, keeping it moist with cold water and getting a hold of your vet to get him in for getting it back in is recommended.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian