Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My 10 week old english bulldog puppy is struggling to breath

My 10 week old english...

My 10 week old english bulldog puppy is struggling to breath today when he got up. He is larthegic, not drinking or eating until recently. He took some mandrin orange juice licking pieces and the juice from the bowl just now. When he was a puppy his mother sat on him and bruised is ribs but the breeder said he recovered from that.

Also he has had a small cough and runny nose that has been clearing up since we got him.

Last night he was playing real hard with our 8 month old bulldog barking very loudly and going at it very hard.

7/24/2011
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian

Dr. Matt :

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - Has your puppy been on any antibiotics? What color are his gums?

Customer:

no antibiotics

Customer:

we are checking the gum color

Customer:

pink

Customer:

his sides towards the back legs vent in and out heaavily

Customer:

as he breathes

Dr. Matt :

Ok - glad to hear his gums are pink, but his breathing does sound serious. How long has he been breathing this way?

Customer:

around 10:30 am EST

Customer:

he woke up fine

Dr. Matt :

Has his breathing improved since this morning? Is his cough any worse since the breathing has been worse? Has he been outside a lot today?

Customer:

breathing is the same, he doesn't seem to cough because of the breathing problem, very little three times briefly for potty breaks

Dr. Matt :

Ok - can you take a rectal temperature at home?

Dr. Matt :

I know that is hard to do, but may help if possible.

Customer:

we are checking for a thermometer right now

Dr. Matt :

ok great

Customer:

he normally seems warm on the belly when he lays on me and he is not warm

Dr. Matt :

ok - even though that is not 100%, probably a good sign.

Customer:

his nose is warm

Customer:

he is trying to lie in front of our fan

Customer:

my wife is checking for the thermoeter

Dr. Matt :

The fan is great for him, though any puppy that is having trouble breathing should be seen by a vet as soon as possible. Do you have access to an emergency veterinarian today?

Customer:

we have been trying to figure that out

Customer:

we don't trust just anyone if the puppy dies my wife will freak

Customer:

we had a dog die at a emergency vet once

Customer:

not good

Customer:

we think its neumonia (I cant spell)

Dr. Matt :

I am very sorry to hear that with your last dog. Here is a link that you can use to find an emergency vet. Does your current vet refer you to any emergency hospitals?http://www.vetlocator.com/quick_search.php

Customer:

yes but he refers us to an old vet we hadd that saw my dog that died at the emergency vet way before he died and he mis-diagnosed the problem and let it go until it was an emergency and the dog died

Dr. Matt :

I do beleive that this could be pneumonia also, if he has had a could for awhile and it has not completely cleared that would be likely. A simple x-ray and antibiotics should be very helpful for him.

Dr. Matt :

Sorry to hear that, do you live in a larger or smaller town?

Customer:

do you think we could wait until firast thing in the morning for our vet

Customer:

larger

Dr. Matt :

You may have more than one emergency vet in your area then. I normally do not recommend waiting on respiratory diseases. Especially due to the young age of your puppy. I totally understand not wanting to see anyone else based on what you have experienced before, but in all honestly I would not be comfortable telling you he should be fine until tomorrow. He may be ok, but there are some risks with waiting.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

we will just have to suck it up and take a chance

Dr. Matt :

I'm sorry - I hear your concerns - hopefully he just needs some antibiotics and supportive care which should not be risky and should be fairly straight forward.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian