Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

my dog hasnt eaten in 24 hrs. Took a walk this morning and

my dog hasn't eaten in 24 hrs. Took a walk this morning and ate grass, drank creek water..nothing since then. Is not trying to vomit or eat more grass. Seems to be reluctant to stand, panting quietly, but it is hot today.. slow to move from point A to point B. Seemed fine this morning and on his morning walk. Pooped this morning.
Holiday weekend, hard to get a hold of a vet. Should I wait and see?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. Are his gums pink like your own gums, or do they appear pale? Are they moist, or dry / sticky?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
His gums are kind of black and pink normally. The pink part does not look pale, and they are moist
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
OK, thanks. If you push inwards on his belly, is it tense, painful, or enlarged at all?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
His belly seems tense, but not bloated or painful.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
Is he restless, pacing, unable to get comfortable? Or is he able to rest easily?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is resting easily...right now lying on his side...no panting. But I can tell something isn't right, but it doesn't seem like an emergency.
He hasn't been restless all day, just lethargic and"off".
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 6 years ago.
OK, thanks. His signs of illness can have many possible explanations -- some more serious than others. I generally don't like to let such issues go more than 24 hours, especially with the signs of being reluctant to stand and move around, as these can be due to dehydration, or electrolyte imbalances, which often occur in dogs with a poor appetite. Since the gums are pink, I'm less likely to be concerned about a cardiovascular condition, but there are many internal organ system issues which could be causing these symptoms. The safest option is to seek veterinary care if at all possible. If not, then you'll be limited to providing supportive care such as keeping him warm and comfortable, and trying to trickle-feed fluids such as water or half-strength chicken broth.