My question is about my chicken, Juno, a Silver-laced Wyandotte hen. She's just turned 1 year old, and a little over 2

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello: My question is about my chicken, Juno, a Silver-laced Wyandotte hen. She's just turned 1 year old, and a little over 2 weeks ago began having difficulty walking. It started as a noticeable limp, then within 2 days she had to use her wings to help walk. At that time I noticed her left foot was tightly curled under. I took her to an avian veterinarian who felt her feet and both legs, examined both feet, then xrayed both legs. A radiologist reported no breaks or other abnormality. I have kept her isolated in a small cage, and her foot is now uncurled, but she is still limping (though, perhaps not as badly). I tried returning her to the coop with the 3 other hens, but one of them immediately attacked her, so I put her back in the isolation cage. She's eating, drinking, pooping & clucking like nothing's wrong, but she just has trouble walking. Finally, sometimes it appears that her "good" leg, the right one, extends out on an angle from her body (as opposed to directly below it). I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice you might have, as I'd, of course like her to recover, and to be able to go back among the others.
Answered by Dr.D in 7 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Dr.D
27+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Dr.D :

Hello there, Welcome to JA , I am DrD , Thank you for the question

Dr.D :

Sorry for the trouble

JACUSTOMER-4tavkd4j- :

Thank you. Is your answer that I should go back to my veterinarian?

Dr.D :

:)

Dr.D :

You may

Dr.D :

Was this bird vaccinated against Marek's disease ?

JACUSTOMER-4tavkd4j- :

Yes, the farm gives that vaccine to all its chicks.

Dr.D :

Did you add any Vitamins to her feed ?

JACUSTOMER-4tavkd4j- :

No. She and the 3 other hens get a commercial "lay pellets" blend.

Dr.D :

The differentials are :

Dr.D :

1-Marek's

Full Size Image

Dr.D :

2-Vitamin B2 Deficiency

Dr.D :

Any joint swellings ?

JACUSTOMER-4tavkd4j- :

Is it likely she'd exhibit a kind of recovery (foot straightening out, better walking) and still have Marek's?

Dr.D :

It is my differentials

Dr.D :

what may cause the said symptoms

Dr.D :

and you wanted thoughts

JACUSTOMER-4tavkd4j- :

OK. According to the vet who felt her legs, there was nothing abnormal, and she doesn't flinch when touched or held.

Dr.D :

I see.

Dr.D :

I think I will let another expert to come and answer to this question since this is all I have for now. There might be another experts with other ideas. Is it o.k with you ?

JACUSTOMER-4tavkd4j- :

Yes, thank you. And I'm sorry if I seemed weird in my responses. First time on this site, and I never "chat".

Dr.D :

No problem

JACUSTOMER-4tavkd4j- :

"Awaiting customer action"? Am I supposed to be doing something?

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr.D
logo
logo
logo
27+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr.D
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.