YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in general practice, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

my dog ate a steel wool soap pad what do i do

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 6 years ago.

YourPetVet :

Hello, When dogs eat steel wool they mostly will cause cuts to the mouth and gums. How big is he?

Customer:

60 lbs

YourPetVet :

Ok, I recommend that you feed him a couple pieces of bread to try to coat the wool as it goes through the intestine. Did he swallow it or shred it?

Customer:

I caught him chewing it up and before I could get to him it was gone

YourPetVet :

Ok better for it to be in pieces than whole. For tonight give the bread. Tomorrow offer bland food like cooked rice and white meat chicken. Also, give 10mg of Pepcid (famotidine) every 12 hours. These are to protect the stomach. Give 24 - 48 hours. If ANY vomiting happens in that time then see your vet but if not then it should pass by that time.

Customer:

can it get stuck or do damage on the way out... should I watch to make sure he goes

YourPetVet :

It can cause damage but the bread and the bland diet is to help minimize that from happening. Some dogs will pass steel wool like nothing happened while others will stop eating, vomiting or start having diarrhea. These are the signs to look for if there is going to be a problem over the next 24 - 48 hours.

Customer:

ok thank you

YourPetVet :

You're welcome. Thanks for your question.