Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

Is it okay to use preparation H on my dogs anus - I have a

Is it okay to use preparation H on my dog's anus - I have a miniature poodle.
Hi, my name isXXXXX do you think you need to use that product?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
To reduce the swelling ? Or should I just be using neosporine?
Is the anus swollen because of straining or what happened? Is this something new you just noticed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is swollen because she was straining for so long trying to to pass the stool that had paper in it. I put rubber gloves on and had to manually pull it all out of her anus. When I was washing her, I noticed the pink tissue extruding from her anus.
O.k. that sounds painful. Let's try some other things first. I want you to do some cool compresses with a washcloth to reduce the swelling and let's give her an anti inflammatory like baby aspirin. We will also put her on a stool softener over the weekend so we don't prolapse the rectum. What does she weigh?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I think she weighs about 14 pounds, but I can get an exact weight if that helps?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She weighs 12 pounds

Unless you think you are way off, that will work. Why don't we try 1/2 of a baby aspirin; do you know what that is? You can give the baby aspirin 12 hours apart and no more than Saturday and Sunday, o.k.? And also let's try some canned pumpkin or sweet potato/squash baby food mixed with her regular diet for the weekend to soften the stool(without causing diarrhea). I also want you to cool compress the area 3 times today for 15 minutes each time with cool wash cloths and 3 times tomorrow. This should help quite a bit. My dog likes to eat paper too; napkins toilet paper etc, but luckily he's about 80 lbs. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That sounds great - thank you so much! Yes, I know what baby asprin is.