Not sure if a tick head is still in my cat what will happen

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Not sure if a tick head is still in my cat what will happen
Answered by Dr. Dan in 10 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Dan
13+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

If a tick's head is still embedded in your cat's skin it is not a very big deal. Your cat's body will reject the tick's head with pus just like an infection. Unless the area becomes really large or has a large draining sore then a vet visit will likely not be needed unless you are really concerned. Your cat's body will take care of it on it's own.

I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan

Customer
I saw a straight line after i pulled the tick out does that mean the head is definitely in

The straight line is likely the stinger so I would guess you have the entire tick so you shouldn't have to worry. It is not unusual to have the area become thickened like a mosquito bite however in reaction to the stinger.

Dr. Dan

Read less
unlike
13 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Dan
logo
logo
logo
13+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Dan
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.