Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog is coughing & hacking, drooling & occasionally vomiting

My dog is coughing & hacking, drooling & occasionally vomiting (no stomach contents, just liquid). Can this be bordatella even though her vaccines are all current?
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello

Dr. Andy :

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Dr. Andy :

I am very concerned about the symptoms you have described.

Dr. Andy :

The drooling and vomiting is more suggestive of a primary stomach problem.

Dr. Andy :

My primary concerns for vomiting include:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s

- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

JACUSTOMER-kepca8xs- :

Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-kepca8xs- :

Ok

Dr. Andy :

However, you also describe coughing or hacking, and therefore, we don't know what degree a primary respiratory problem is present.

Dr. Andy :

Like a bronchitis, a upper respiratory infection (bordatella included), or more importantly, a heart problem. Yes, the coughing can definitely be due to heart issues as well.

Dr. Andy :

So, to answer your question:

Dr. Andy :

Bordatella is only one of many types of very common bacterial infections that can cause a upper respiratory infection.

Dr. Andy :

But, I am really bothered by the drooling/vomiting which really also suggests nausea.

Dr. Andy :

Yes, bordatella infection can still occur with vaccination, but they can get over the infection a lot quicker with less complication.

Dr. Andy :

Do I think this is bordatella. Not really. I am more concerned about some other systemic problem.

Dr. Andy :

To help settle the stomach you could try one of the following drugs.

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

Pepcid

.

Prilosec

.

Zantac

.

JACUSTOMER-kepca8xs- :

ok

Dr. Andy :

Absolutely, I think it is time to get into a vet. Today. Definitely, well worth a veterinary examination, good listen to the chest, and some much better supportive treatment.

Dr. Andy :

Most important:

Dr. Andy :

If the vet gave a shot of baytril and DID NOT send home an oral antibiotic that was ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS. If they truly did that, you need a new vet. To give a single shot of antibiotic with no follow up medication is bad medicine, in my opinion, and served no purpose.

Dr. Andy :

Absolutely, well worth consulting a new vet, today, for a second opinion.

Dr. Andy :

I hope you trust me on that point.

Dr. Andy :

Hope that info is helpful.

Dr. Andy :

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to inform me if you “accept” or please click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). It is greatly appreciated. Please excuse any delays in my responses, as I regularly attend to hospitalized patients and daily examinations. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion and follow-up, if needed. Dr. Andy

JACUSTOMER-kepca8xs- :

He gave antinausea shot with prescription for Batril

Dr. Andy :

Okay, so at least the baytril was sent home. That makes me feel better. Well worth a follow upvisit for better supportive care, and perhaps, some basic tests are in order.

Dr. Andy :

JACUSTOMER-kepca8xs- :

We did bloodwork & temp yesterday

JACUSTOMER-kepca8xs- :

She showed high white cell count & higher than normal temp

Dr. Andy :

Good. May be worth considering some x-rays at this point, and more supportive treatment. Ask for a antivomiting/antinausea medication called Cerenia. Once a day treatment, incredible stuff.

JACUSTOMER-kepca8xs- :

Ok thanks

Dr. Andy :

It may really really be worth hospitalizing for a day on IV fluids to support him.

JACUSTOMER-kepca8xs- :

Ok

Dr. Andy :

You are very welcome. Good Luck
Please remember to click 'accept" when finished.