Veterinary

black lab: current on shots,and spayed..eaten anything..drinking water…

i have a 5year old...
i have a 5year old black lab, current on shots,and spayed. her name is XXXXX XXXXX has not eaten anything for the past 4 days but she is drinking water. you can tell she does not feel well as she has been laying around. she has had diarreha(with no consistency at all) and has vomited up the diluted chicken broth i gave her and the rice water i... Read full answer
i have a 5year old black lab, current on shots,and spayed. her name is XXXXX XXXXX has not eaten anything for the past 4 days but she is drinking water. you can tell she does not feel well as she has been laying around. she has had diarreha(with no consistency at all) and has vomited up the diluted chicken broth i gave her and the rice water i have fed to her. i have also tried pedialite. my friend works at a vet place and gave lady a iv solution for dehydration. her stomach does nnot seem to bother her when we feel around it. we live out in the country and at first thought that she got ahold of a dead animal. my other dogs are ok. i cannot afford to take her to the vet as our house payment is late. lady will wag her tail on occasion and she snaps at the flies pretty quickly as far as reflexes go. what can i do
9/18/2010
Dr. C
Dr. C, Veterinarian
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. C :

Hi-

Dr. C :

I'm sorry that Lady isn't feeling well. I understand she hasn't eaten, but you say she is drinking water. In addition, you have tried pedialyte, rice water, and chicken broth, but she has vomited all of those things. What frequency are we talking about with the vomiting?

In addition, can you please tell me the frequency of diarrhea, and if there is any blood, just watery, or dark brown or black? Does it have a strong odor? What is Lady's attitude? Is she up walking around or just lying around all day? How is her responsive ness to you?
i am at work during the day and as far as i can tell the vomiting and pure liquid diarreha happens only after i squirt something into her mouth. it does not happen immediately but you can tell she dosnt want it. the diarreha smells like strong poop and i dont see any blood in the vometing and i dont know about the diarreha. i saw her having diarreha at a distant and it was like a brownish waterfall. also she just lays around unless she has to get a drink or go to bathroom. when i place her water bowl in front of her instead of making her get up she will take a drink and then just kind of hover her head abive the bowl. she looks sad

OK-

I understand about needing to pay bills. It is important to keep her hydrated. If she is unable to keep anything by mouth, then IV's or SQ fluids are the only option available as her gut obviously isn't working right. Therefore, you may want to see if you can get some more fluids to be given under the skin which she can absorb over a 24 hour period of time. Some vets will work with you if they know your situation. BotXXXXX XXXXXne, is that I am very concerned that she may have eaten something- gotten a type of "food poisoning" as you describe, or even have an obstruction of the bowel with something she's eaten. Corn cobs are everywhere in the trash and are notorious for doing something like this. I have a lab also so I know how they can be. She hovers over the bowl because she's thirsty- dehydration, but also knows she'll just vomit. Therefore, see about getting assistance with the fluids. I would be afraid to treat the diarrhea without knowing about an obstruction. She really needs a vet exam for that. I hope this is helpful. Good luck with Lady.

Dr. C
Dr. C, Veterinarian
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
dog: crate..drank..She pooped (a bit soft but still formed) and peed.
Our 3 year old healthy dog woke up and starting drinking an excessive amount of water this morning - when let out (she usually pees immediately), she started eating the snow, when let in (she usually … read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
I have a 18month year old female syrian hamster ginger and
I have a 18month year old female syrian hamster ginger and white in colour. Over the xmas period she was left for a few days with plenty of food and water and then cared for by a relative until my ret… read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
Our 6 yr old mutt went to stay with friends in the country
Our 6 yr old mutt went to stay with friends in the country over Thanksgiving (Wednesday night to Sunday night). My husband picked her up and brought her home and I immmediately noticed a change in her… read more
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
cat: sweetest..affectionate..playing on the floor with a plastic bag
I have a fixed female cat around 5years old. She is the sweetest and most affectionate cat. She was playing on the floor with a plastic bag from the super market. I noticed she went from the living ro… read more
Ewe: giving birth..infection from bugs, flies, etc..diluted
My Ewe (sheep) is pregnant and will be giving birth in early September, do I spray Ewe with any disinfectant or just plain water? I am worried that sheep might get some infection from bugs, flies, etc… read more
Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson
Associate Veterinarian,
My guinea pig Flower looks very sick, she has small worms near
My guinea pig Flower looks very sick, she has small worms near her rectum and looks like probably has some diarreha. How can I treat her? Please help my othe guinea pig died 2 weeks ago and she had la… read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I HAVE A YEAR OLD SHIH TZO I GOT HER WHEN SHE WAS 3 MONTHS
I HAVE A YEAR OLD SHIH TZO I GOT HER WHEN SHE WAS 3 MONTHS OLD WHEN THEY BROUGHT HER IN TO THE METRO POUND SHE WAS HALF DEAD METRO SAID BUT WHEN THEY GAVE HER WATER AND WHAT THEY DO SO METRO GAVE HER … read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
my hampster looks like she is sleeping and will not wake up
my hampster looks like she is sleeping and will not wake up is this normal? its almost like she is dead but she is breathing.… read more
fionasteel
fionasteel
veterinarian,
My 3 year rat terrrier gums became inflamed on Sunday. She
My 3 year rat terrrier gums became inflamed on Sunday. She was snapping at me withing a couple of hours. I gave her 1 baby aspirin and called the vet in the morning. She examined her has scheduled a t… read more
Dr. Berry
Dr. Berry
Practice owner,
My dog ingested my asthma medicine (0.093% albuterol sulfate
My dog ingested my asthma medicine (0.093% albuterol sulfate inhalation solution = 0.5mL of albuterol sulfate 0.5% diluted in 3mL of normal saline solution), whta should i do?… read more
Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine
Veterinarian,
My girl Lady is 14/15, has a large mammary tumor that has matastesized
My girl Lady is 14/15, has a large mammary tumor that has matastesized to her lungs...she is coughing only when she is lying down sleeping and has labored breathing...otherwise she is ok, eating, wagg… read more
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Veterinarian,
jack russell terrier: is 13 yrs..vomiting and has diarrhea as well.
My XXXXX XXXXX terrier is 13 yrs. old and became sick about a week ago. She has been vomiting and has diarrhea as well. I could not take her to a vet (can't afford) so I have been giving her Pedialite… read more
Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
hi my daughters rabbit died yesreday , we were on holidy and
hi my daughters rabbit died yesreday , we were on holidy and someone was lokking aFTER THEM BUT WHEN WE RETURNED THEY HAD NOT BEEN GROOMED WHEN SHE DIED WE NOTICED A LARGE AMOUNT OF POOH STUCK TO HER … read more
fionasteel
fionasteel
veterinarian,
guinea pig: rescue group..thin and his rear was bald..longer hair
We have a guinea pig that we got from a rescue group. (The rescue worker said that when she first got him, he was very thin and his rear was bald.) He has longer hair, particularly on his rear area. M… read more
Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts
veterinary surgeon,
yellow nape amazon: month old..it corn flour mixed with water
Please help me. My friend got a month old baby yellow nape amazon and only gave it corn flour mixed with water. She called me because I have 2 amazons and a small parrot. The bird could no longer stan… read more
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Veterinarian,
standard poodle: skinny..dewormed and had his 3rd shot ( a 5..stool
I purchased a 14 week standard poodle on 4/1/10, he was skinny, fecees in between the toes but responsive and cute as a bug. I was told he has be dewormed and had his 3rd shot ( a 5 in 1 ). The first … read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
My sister lives in North Florida, in the country. Her cats
My sister lives in North Florida, in the country. Her cats are indoor/outdoor, and 2 have developed these round, penney dime size holes. In one day, the hair is all gone. One cat develeoped an open wo… read more
Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris
Veterinarian,
shepherd mix: red, dime-shaped mark (bright red) on her belly
We are in the country with our 2 year old shepherd mix for the first time. I put fronline on her before we left, but two days into the trip, she has a red, dime-shaped mark (bright red) on her belly. … read more
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett
Veterinarian,