Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

my mini dauchund has vomitted 5 or 6 times in the past hour

my mini dauchund has vomitted 5 or 6 times in the past hour and I noticed bits of blood. What should I do?
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Lee :

Hello? Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-uuei9g5y- :

yes

Dr. Lee :

Can you please give me more information as requested above?

JACUSTOMER-uuei9g5y- :

Sorry, I just saw your response. She's spayed, lethargic and got into my mother-in laws garbage today. She has been drinking water.

Dr. Lee :

Thanks for the info.

Dr. Lee :

The vomiting is a direct result of dietary indiscretion, leading to severe GI upset/stomach upset.

Dr. Lee :

This can potentially lead to pancreatitis or obstruction, depending on what is in the garbage that got ingested.

Dr. Lee :

It is not uncommon to see such severe vomiting after these episodes.

Dr. Lee :

I would suggest to simply let her rest and let her be for the next 4 to 6 hours. Allow access to fresh water and recheck her in the morning.

Dr. Lee :

If she continues to be lethargic, vomiting, especially after drinking water, then she needs to go to the ER or your vet at that time.

Dr. Lee :

If she is doing ok, then start offering some homemade chicken and rice to allow the gut to rest, for 1 to 2 days, then you can go back to the normal dog food.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

JACUSTOMER-uuei9g5y- :

Thank you.....I thought it might be an emergency since I saw blood!

Dr. Lee :

Blood is common after such episode, but for now, follow the instructions above and reassess in the morning.

Dr. Lee :

Of course, if at all possible, it is always a good idea to go to the ER just in case.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

JACUSTOMER-uuei9g5y- :

no...thank you!

Dr. Lee :

Great. You can press Accept to end the live chat. Any followup can be posted on the Q&A of this thread without additional charges.