Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Hi. Im watching a 2 year old golden retriever. He just ate

Customer Question

Hi. I'm watching a 2 year old golden retriever. He just ate a child's sock and I don't know what to do. Kids are asleep and I cannot take the dog to the emergency vet right now. Please help.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Christian K. :

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Dr. Christian K. :

How much does he weigh? How long ago did he eat it?

JACUSTOMER-0hy5uepf- :

I'm not sure how much he weighs, I guess about 50 pounds. He ate this about ten minutes ago.

Dr. Christian K. :

Try giving him 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit. It can be repeated in 10 minutes if necessary.

Dr. Christian K. :

How big was the sock?

JACUSTOMER-0hy5uepf- :

it was about six inches long. He ate it before I could even get to it. What are the side effects of hydrogen peroxide?

Dr. Christian K. :

It will cause her to vomit but thats about it.

JACUSTOMER-0hy5uepf- :

Unfortunately I cannot find any hydrogen peroxide anywhere. I am housesitting and I have no idea where it could be. Is there anything else I can try?

Dr. Christian K. :

Unfortunately not. The options are to call someone that can get you some peroxide, take him to an emegency clinic so they can make him vomit or hope that he vomits the sock up or passes it in his stool.

JACUSTOMER-0hy5uepf- :

Okay. I will call my sister and ask her to bring some peroxide. If he does not vomit, what would be the next step?

Dr. Christian K. :

You can repeat the dose a couple of times 10 minutes apart but after that your best bet would be to take him to an emergency clinic so that they can make him vomit.

JACUSTOMER-0hy5uepf- :

Is there a possibility that he could vomit it up on his own and if so, how long does that take to happen?

JACUSTOMER-0hy5uepf- :

I cannot take him to the vet until the morning. What are signs I should watch out for?

Dr. Christian K. :

He could vomit it up but that can occur days later. I wouldn't count on that happening. He'd be very unlikely to show any symptoms tonight but they would be belly pain, vomiting, lethargy and lack of appetite.

JACUSTOMER-0hy5uepf- :

If I cannot get a hold of anyone to bring peroxide, could I give it in the morning when I can get to the store? At that point, about 12 hours would have passed since he ate the sock.

Dr. Christian K. :

You could try that. If it is still in his stomach it may work. It certainly won't hurt to try.

JACUSTOMER-0hy5uepf- :

thank you for your help.

Dr. Christian K. :

You are welcome. Good luck.