Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

i haent seen any poop in their cage now for about two or three

i havent seen any poop...
i havent seen any poop in their cage now for about two or three weeks and they dont look bloated or anything and they have been eating wat might b wrong
Answered in 1 day by:
9/5/2010
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you?

What is their primary diet?
What is their normal temperature in their enclosure? (hot and cool sides)
Have they been getting calcium supplement on their food?

Dr. Dan

their diet is meal worms that are dusted with calcium and crickets and mormal temp during the day is just under 90 degress and at night it is at about low 80 s and their hot side is the daytime side and the cool side is at the other end of the tank in th edaytime and at night the otherside is warm and their usuall day side is the cool side. and yes they r getting calcium supplemt on their foo and there is a bowl of reptocal

in the cage as well nd there problem was with pooping but to

day i was lookin in there cage and in one of the corners i buried down a lil bit nd found wat looked like poop do they burie their poop?

Hello!

Yes they will use a toilet area. If the stool is being found in a corner or buried then likely that is where it is going. Keep looking what I'd do is remove any bark or bedding and replace it with newspaper. Let's confirm that he is not defecating. If he goes more than a week without defecating then he should be seen by the vet. In the meantime soak him for 15 minutes a day in slightly warm water if he is bound up a little this will hydrate him and help the stool pass.

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan

i have eco earth as there beeding is that ok

No this is a terrible bedding. This type of bedding can be easily ingested and cause blockages as well as trap viruses and fungus.

I would switch to carpeting, or newspaper.

Dr. Dan

could i use that reptisand bc i want them to feel as if they were in the wild

Sand is just as bad as the other beddings for the same reasons mainly because most of the impacted lizards I've treated were because of sand. Lizards don't spend much time exposed on the sand in the wild as they would be quickly intercepted by predators. If you want to imitate the wild then they need mainly places to hide that are rocky.

Dr. Dan

well i just dnt like the carpet because everytime u have to clean u r disturbing there habitat but the best thing for them is the carpet

Newspaper is also a good one, disturbing the habitat is a small price to pay since most of these lizards "in the wild" have much more space to roam so they can get away from their waste. In captivity they cannot so it is imperative that cleaning be excellent.

Dr. Dan

ok will do thank u very much sr. u were tons of help everybody told me that wat i am using for them is the best thing to use for them but apparently they r wrong

Best of luck!
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian