Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have a 9 year old male pug. Hes been throwing up occasionally

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old male pug. He's been throwing up occasionally today. His vomit is white foam and the last time he threw up there were speckles of what looked like dark red blood. What do I do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello.

Dr. Andy :

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Dr. Andy :

My primary concerns for vomiting include:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new dog food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

- Less commonly, endocrine disease like Addison’s (where the body produces insufficient steroids from the adrenal glands)

- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease or failure (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

To help settle the stomach you could try one of the following drugs. My favorite product is Pepcid (an over-the-counter antacid).

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

Pepcid

.

Prilosec

.

Zantac

.

Pepto-Bismol (NOT TO BE USED IN CATS)

Dr. Andy :

As you can see, my list of concerns is a bit more worrisome with older pets. The blood is suggestive of some ulceration in the stomach and esophagus. This does not make the prognosis worse, but it does really infer that you need to get him into a vet, and sooner than later.

Dr. Andy :

POSSIBLE TESTS YOUR VETERINARIAN MAY WANT TO PERFORM WITH VOMITING OR DIARRHEA SYMPTOMS:

1. Abdominal x-rays to look for foreign bodies, masses, and intestinal wall changes.

2. A basic blood test for an overall health assessment (very important at this age)

3. A fecal test to check for intestinal parasites (not just worms, but also microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia)

Dr. Andy :

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). Just Answer will not credit me for the time assisting you, and it helps me to recognize that we are finished. Leaving feedback and a bonus is not required, but is greatly appreciated!

Please excuse any delays in my responses, as I regularly attend to hospitalized patients and daily examinations. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion and follow-up, if needed.

If you would like to ask any NEW questions in the future, you may request me through my profile @

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=14008320&FID=0

JACUSTOMER-7irkwo01- : Thank you. I'm going to continue to monitor Otis and if he's not any better in the morning I will take him to vet. I pulled his water bowl away. Is that a bad idea?
Dr. Andy :

No, pulling water and food for 8 or so hours is a good idea. I would at least consider the Pepcid. Great at settling the stomach.

Dr. Andy :

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance, otherwise, please remember to click "accept" so Justanswer gives me credit. Thanks. XXXXX