Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Cat male neutered, 10.5 years old. Has suffered very loose

Cat: male neutered, 10.5 years old. Has suffered very loose bowels for some years. Faeces have been tested in labs. Tried various diets including Hills ZD; Protexin pro biotic. Locals vets seem unable to help. The cat is quite healthy and happy, maintainig weight, etc. He's wormed quarterly.
Scourban has worked previously, but he can't live on that.
Any suggestions?

Ross Tongue.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello Ross.

Dr. Andy :

Well, a few points to discuss.

Dr. Andy :

First, with chronic loose bowels, and negative fecal tests that other tests that really should be considered include:
1. A basic blood profile and it MUST include a thyroid level to check for hyperthyroidism (even if maintaining weight).

Dr. Andy :

2. An abdominal ultrasound to get a good look at the intestinal wall for thickness or changes to support inflammatory bowel disease.

Dr. Andy :

In the absence of nothing else working here are a few suggestions:

Dr. Andy :

1. Some cats with IBD will do better on all canned diets. Something to consider

Dr. Andy :

2. A trial on flagyl (metronidazole). It is an antibiotic with anti-inflammatory benefit within the intestinal tract. Great in situations like this.

Dr. Andy :

3. A steroid trial. Yes! Treatment with some prednisone, which would be one of the treatments of choice for inflammatory bowel disease.

Dr. Andy :

4. Lastly, to supplement a medication like Flagyl, or a trial on prednisone, a product called Rx Clay, is a wonderful supplement to help firm up the poops.

Dr. Andy :

I hope that info helps.

Dr. Andy :

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). Just Answer will not credit me for the time assisting you, and it helps me to recognize that we are finished. Leaving feedback and a bonus is not required, but is greatly appreciated!

Please excuse any delays in my responses, as I regularly attend to hospitalized patients and daily examinations. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion and follow-up, if needed.

If you would like to ask any NEW questions in the future, you may request me through my profile @

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=14008320&FID=0