Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hi, my cat has just come back in the house with a small tear/cut

Customer Question

Hi, my cat has just come back in the house with a small tear/cut on her ear. It is about 1cm long and a where it's cut, the skin of the ear is hanging off the cut. It's not serious enough to take her to the emergency vet, but I would like to make sure it doesn't get worse. Should I clean it, or try to cover it up? Please can you advise me? Many thanks, Victoria
Submitted: 6 years ago via PetWave.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
Sure, Victoria, I am happy to help....

You do need to clean this ear with hydrogen peroxide and then apply Neosporin to the cut area. You do not need to wrap it unless it starts to bleed. If this is the case, then you would place the ear over her head with gauze on top of it and then wrap a round her head after applying the Neosporin.

Apply the Neosporin to the area every 8 hrs until it appears healed. This will not hurt your girl if she licks this off. You can discontinue the neosporin after a few days.

I hope that help, Victoria....let me know if you need clarification. It may help to wrap her in a towel to clean this ear. She will not be happy about this.

Good luck!