Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

My dog just ate something off the street (a large piece of

My dog just ate something off the street (a large piece of spicy chicken ). She swallowed it whole and then regurgitated it a few minutes later. I am very vigilant about this but I could not get it out of her mouth fast enough.

Since regurgitation, she seems better. Should I give her pepcid in case some spicy food was absorbed? Anything else besides just watch her?

Thanks.

MaryAnne
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Scott :

Hello there,

Dr. Scott :

Was the meat spoiled?

Dr. Scott :

Do you think all of it came back up?

Dr. Scott :

Is she keeping water down now?

Customer :

It looked like cook chicken that was on the street. Yes, I think it all came up as she regurgitated within 3 minutes. It was one large piece.

Customer :

She drank water about 5 minutes ago and so far so good.

Dr. Scott :

If the water stayed down, giving Pepcid AC or Prilosec OTC would not be a bad idea to make sure the stomach upset does not get worse. Both are used at 5 mg per 20 pounds body weight every 24 hours as needed.

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I will go with the Pepcid and watch her. May I feed her breakfast in about an hour, assuming the water stays down?

Dr. Scott :

If water stays down and you give the Pepcid, I would wait an hour after giving it before offering food. Give the medicine some time to work.

Customer :

Thank you!