Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

my one year old daschaund ate a small wing chicken bone this

my one year old daschaund ate a small wing chicken bone this past sunday his bowel movements where ok till today, he has thrown up once and now has very loose stool with a light pink color (blood?). any advise would mean a lot to our family
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Christian K. :

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Dr. Christian K. :

Is he lethargic? Has he been eating and drinking normally until today? Is his belly painful when you gently push on it? Was there anything in the vomit?

Customer :

yes eating drinking today but seems a little lethargic in the past few hours no pain when I push on his belly

Customer :

his vomit had some of his treats from this morning and just yellowish bile recently

Dr. Christian K. :

That is good news. Most chicken bones will digest or pass but there is the potential that they can cause damage or blockage to the intestines. That would cause vomiting, slowed appetite and possibly bloody stool. It's also possible that the chicken has caused a severely upset stomach to cause this as well. It is definitely best to have him checked to determine which problem is occurring. If he has a lodged bone in the intestines then that needs to be removed surgically. An x-ray can see if there is still a bone in the intestinal tract.

Customer :

It's hard to believe but we are pretty sure he swallowed it hole would that make any difference in your diagnosis

Dr. Christian K. :

It doesn't make much difference. The chicken bones are small so they are easier to digest than a ham or beef bone. However, his symptoms are consistent with a blockage so it is a good idea to have him seen to make sure nothing dangerous is going on.

Customer :

Is there a time line to follow or could this wait till our vet opens in the morning ,and should we continue with his regular food (small dry kibbles with some canned mixed in)? Is there anything to avoid as well.

Dr. Christian K. :

Since he is acting fairly good right now you can probably wait until morning. Don't offer any food tonight, it will only worsen the vomiting. You can give small amounts of water. If he acts more lethargic, develops belly pain, the vomiting worsens or he develops more blood in his stool then have him seen tonight.

Customer :

thank you for your help we will monitor him closely tonight.

Dr. Christian K. :

You are welcome. Good luck. I hope everything goes well.