Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My Labrador dog has eaten a small thin plastic bag .What should

I do?...
My Labrador dog has eaten a small thin plastic bag .What should I do?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2010
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- How long has it been since he ate the plastic?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

3- How much does he weigh?

He weighs 40 kilos.No we dont have hydrogen Peroxide,He ate the plastic about 20 minutes ago.

If within the hour you can get some hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting, give 5 ounces orally. If within 5 minutes he does not vomit repeat it again. Do not give a 3rd time if no vomit. If you can not induce vomiting or the plastic not present in the vomit, feed rice (75%) and boneless chicken (25%) for a day. The idea is so the rice to help him defecate the plastic. If within the next 24-72 hours he becomes lethargic, vomiting or unable to defecate have him checked by a veterinarian, these are symptoms of an obstruction.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

I cannot get Hydrogen Peroxide in time.Do you think that the rice and chicken will do the trick?His nose is dry is that a bad sign?

Nose being dry as no relevance; just means he is preserving water.

Rice and chicken can do the trick most of the time.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian