Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

is penicillin ok for cats

is penicillin ok for cats
8/2/2010
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Dave :

Hello, and thanks for writing in. I'm Dr. Dave and will try to help.
What is going on with your cat that makes you want to give penicillin?

Customer:

has upperrespatory infection which has been treated twice by same vet that treated "father" cat 4 times for same infection but never help eather cat. The father cat died 1 month after the last visit to that vet.

Dr. Dave :

I'm sorry to hear about the father cat passing away.
Upper respiratory infections in cats are usually a viral infection, but they can get secondary bacterial infections which complicate things. The virus has to run it's course over a 1-2 week time period (just like a cold virus in people), and in the meantime, your making sure the cat is still eating, drinking, and able to breathe ok. Antibiotics are used sometimes to take care of a secondary bacterial infection. So, to answer your question, penicillin can be used for this purpose, but it is not the best antibiotic. I would say the most common antibiotics used in cats for this purpose are amoxicillin, Clavamox, a cephalosporin antibiotic, and sometimes a fluroquinolone antibiotic. It is rare for a cat to pass away from this type of infection, but it can happen in rare situations. These infections can progress to a pneumonia, which is more serious, and can more likely cause a cat to pass away. Another reason for passing away is if a cat with an upper respiratory infection has feline leukemia virus, or feline immunodificiency virus.

Customer:

This is a 9 yr. old Maine Coon male, otherwise in good health, weighing 14 pounds. Other 5 cats, 2 from same litter are are all fine. Cat has been thested for leuk. and results was negitive. If I try penicillin what amount do you recomend; I was a medic in the service and have worked with cats/dogs and still do minoe rescue work but can find a trustworthy vet out hers.

Dr. Dave :

What exact kind of penicillin do you have?

Customer:

Foster and Smith

Dr. Dave :

Is it injectable or oral?
How many milligrams per pill or per ml?

Customer:

it is Pro-pen G for horses and i would inject

Dr. Dave :

Sorry about the delay - computer accidentally got shut off.

20,000 units/kg Intramuscularly or Subcutaneously every 12-24 hours.

Customer:

would you like to convert the 20,000 units to cc's for me......please

Dr. Dave :

According to the bottle I saw on the Foster and Smith website, it's 300,000 units per ml, so 20,000/300,000 = 0.06666 or 0.07cc. So, 0.07cc = 20,000 units.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX on web searching for an easy conversion chart...........

Customer:

I lost our/this "chat" dialoge, for some reason my computer, or yours closed us down. How can I locate a reasonable vet in the east valley of Phoenix; i.e. Apache Junction area. The other 3 I've visited, all balked at my request to buy my (their) perscriptions on line, rather then doing a second or third office visit for a perscription "refill".

Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian

Sorry again, I had to leave, and I was trying to continue our chat conversation on my mobile phone, but it seemed to get things messed up.

Some veterinarians won't prescribe medications (at the clinic or online) without another exam - usually to make sure they know what specifically is going on with that specific pet.

As far as locating a reasonable vet in your area, you would just need to ask friends, neighbors, or co-workers. Or look online and call around to ask them specific questions (policies, fees, etc.)

Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian