YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in general practice, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

my puppies are 7 months old will be 8 month the 26 of august

Customer Question

my puppies are 7 months old will be 8 month the 26 of august when do i have to have to worry about her going into heat? her brother lives here and her mom and dad we already had 2 litters with mommy and was lucky enough to sell the puppies to good homes she has stop feeding and we have 1 female left from that litter we have appointments to get them fixed but not till the end of the month should i be using the diapers i bought them or do i have enough time Cleopatra is safe for now since she is only 11 weeks old but i am worried about Alphrodite and the mom Mandi
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 7 years ago.
Hello, Your female could go into heat at any time now. A diaper will help with spotting once it starts but not even a concrete wall will keep the brother or father away from her once it starts. (I have heard of male dogs chewing through a wall to get to a female). I recommend having Aphrodite spayed as soon as possible or have her or the males in a separate residence while she is in heat. Thanks for your question.

J Bache, DVM

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what about the mom she just stopped breast feeding
The mom could go right back into heat as well and I would say that she should be spayed once she has totally dried up in a few weeks.

J Bache, DVM