Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Yesterday, our 20 month old Texas Heeler and our 14 week old

Yesterday, our 20 month old Texas Heeler and our 14 week old Aussiedor were playing as usual all day while my wife was painting and my son and I were installing a gate on the driveway. We came in for supper and then went out to finish up. All seemed find until we went to come in for the night and the Texas was sitting but would not get up, She did stand up for supper and to come back outside, and then within 1 hr, she was unable to stand. The left hip seems to be in pain. This morning she went outside, but would not urinate. We lift her back end to stand her up. She ate some food and then laid down. Brought her back in and she's laying here on the floor with me. We did not see her her herself. Are there any over the counter pain meds that a dog can take?? Other suggestions???
Britt
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello Britt. This is way beyond over-the-counter treatment.

Dr. Andy :

Absolutely, with her exhibiting these symptoms, she needs to be evaluated by a vet. We simply do not know the extent of what injury could have occurred. Hopefully, it is a simple soft tissue injury, but we can't assume it. What we do know is it is severe enough to result in you needing to "assist her" into a standing position, and she is refusing to urinate.

Dr. Andy :

No way, would a non-steroidal medication like aspirin be appropriate in this situation.

Dr. Andy :

Well worth getting a basic veterinary evaluation performed, so the problem can be narrowed down a bit and isolated.

Dr. Andy :

Also, the vet carries much better non-steroidal and/or pain medication.

Dr. Andy :

With these symptoms, there can also be a back injury of concern (like a person with a disc herniation in the spine).

Dr. Andy :

I also would not take a wait and see approach on this. Find any vet open on Sunday.

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Otherwise,

Please remember to click "ACCEPT", so JustAnswer recognizes me for addressing the question. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. XXXXX

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.

7:25 AM

7:25 AM

7:25 AM

7:26 AM

7:26 AM

7:26 AM

7:27 AM

Good Luck

Thanks. Dr. Andy