I have several questions. The first is about the Merk Concise Veterinary Manual, Specifically an article on Anemia of

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, I have several questions. The first is about the Merk Concise Veterinary Manual, Specifically an article on Anemia of Chronic Disease. Is this manual a good albeit concise guide in wide use and generally a trusted source? The second question, in a condition of chronic infection or inflammation is the anemia that can be caused by this condition regenerative or non-regenerative? And the third question is about High globulin levels and may actually require a brief discussion rather than just a single question and answer, also a 4th question would be is PPA for female spay incontinence contra-indicated in renal failure with PU/PD?
Answered by Dr. C in 50 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Dr. C
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi-

The Merck Veterinary manual has been around for a long time. It was considered a good source of information for a number of years.Many practicing veterinarians today use other resources than the merck manual. It still is good for large animal and especially in third world countries. Depending on what edition you're reading, the info may be correct or antiquated. Chronic infection/ inflammation can produce both a regenerative or non-regenerative anemia based on the individual. It isn't necessarily one or another. Each individual needs to be looked at and the blood smear must be done frequently to determine the status, to include at times a bone marrow exam. Regarding high globulin levels- I don't know what you're asking or need to know, nor do I know what you need to discuss. As to the PU/PD- that doesn't necessarily indicate renal failure. PPA is being used for female incontinence. It has side effects of peripheral vasoconstriction but has no other known side effects. Dosage is important of which I don't know what you're giving. If this is helpful, please push ACCEPT

Customer
On the globulins issue, can you offer a short list on causes for them being elevated, other than the presence of chronic infection and would chronic renal failure be on that list? Also, regarding high globulin levels, in the case of a chronic vaginal infection (and I know there are many variables), approximately how long would it take for them to reach a level of 5.2? this is for a court case I'm working on.
Multiple myeloma, leishmainia, lymphoma, FIV, FIP, Systemic fungal infection, any type of cancer affecting the entire system, and these are primarily gamma globulin elevations, plus or minus a concurrent albumin to also be high or normal. I don't know about beta and alpha or which are elevated in your case, or if you're just wanting gammas. I presume you're interested in the gammas because you mention chronic infection. Certain medications can also elevate globulins such as

chlorpromazine, corticosteroids, isoniazid, neomycin, phenacemide, salicylates, sulfonamides, and tolbutamide.Chronic renal failure doesn't cause

globulins to go up, but usually down, as there is less protein for the liver to manufacture the proteins for the blood, as there is protein loss through the poor kidney function. Vaginal infections don't usually cause globulins to rise. There is no predicting how long it takes the globulins to rise because again, it is variable based on the individual, the infection or disease process involved, availability of the liver and function of the liver to manufacture such globulins and albumin proteins. I hope this is helpful.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. C
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. C
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.