Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My female cat aged 18mths will unrinate on my daughters bed…

Customer Question
My female cat aged 18mths...
My female cat aged 18mths will unrinate on my daughters bed or handbag and is now urinating in the cases of guests HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
7/3/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Erica, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Erica
Dr. Erica, Veterinarian

Whenever a cat does this, we need to figure out if this is a medical problem or a behavoiral one. Cats are prone to urinary tract infections and the first sign may be urinating outside the litterbox. Sometimes they cry when they pee and sometimes there is blood but usually there is no way to tell without bringing in a urine sample to be checked by a veterinarian. If she has a UTI, then all she needs is a course of antibiotic and she should stop this behavoir.

However, if her urine test is normal, then this may be due to stress. Could something in the house be upsetting her? The visitors? Construction? Possibly a stray cat at the window? The first thing to do is to temporarily put multiple litterboxes around the house so she has a choice of where to go. In addition, get a few of the plug in feline pheromones sold in most pet stores (there is one called feliway). These work to release pheromones that are soothing to cats and take away stress. Try this for a few weeks. However, if it continues, then the last resort is to put her on an antianxiety medication like prozac which is commonly used in cats with this problem. My own cat Newman was doing the same thing, and the prozac really helped him. I know it is a very frustrating problem, but really the first stepis to rule out an infection because that will be the easiest to treat. I hope this information helps. Good luck with her!