Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

What do you do when your baby bunny has a injured paw?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
7/3/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian

Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine.

I'd like to get a little more info:

How long have you had her?

Do you know how she was injured?

Is this an open wound or does it feel/look like a fractured bone?

THanks

I have had her for a couple of days. It might have been from falling from my hands. It is not an open wound. She is not walking right and hasnt been drinking and eating alot. So I'm worried mainly about eating sense i gave her water.

These little guys really shouldn't go more than a day without eating. They can easily get hypoglycemic. Wild rabbits are even more easily stressed than their domesticated cousins, and rabbits and stress do not mix well at all. This is true of most prey animals, unfortunately.

If this is a back leg especially, it can be very difficult to fashion any sort of splint yourself, as it is very easy to interfere with the blood supply and there is quite a bit of finesse required to get one to stay on and yet not be applied too tightly.

She would benefit greatly from placement in a wildlife foster home or rehab setting, as these entities often have veterinarians they call on to help them with medications and treatment that may be appropriate. Especially for things like feeding. You can try syringing 1-2 cc of vegetable (puree) baby food (stage 1 is best) at a time if she'll accept it without too much stress. can try this every hour or two.

The rest of the time I would leave her in a quiet, somewhat darkened area where she can feel more secure and perhaps relax.

If you call around to local veterinarians, they may be able to guide you to the appropriate source for in person help, be it themselves of a wildlife caregiver.

Let me know if I may help further,

Kindly,

Dr. Elaine