Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My dog Princess Sassie has a large lump on her right back teet…

Customer Question
My dog Princess Sassie has...
My dog Princess Sassie has a large lump on her right back teet and we don't have the money for operation. The other night it started to blead. It is very red. I have had Sassie for nine years. Please help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Veterinary
7/1/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. J, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Veterinarian

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer!

The bleeding mass on her back may be cancer but dogs also get benign growths called sabaceous adenomas - they look like arts and can occasionally open up and bleed.

Regardless, there are a few things you can do at home to help Sassie:

1. Apply direct pressure on the source of bleeding the your hand and gauze or a clean towel or cloth.
  2. Clean the wound - I recommend using betadine solution which should be available at your pharmacy. You can also try hydrogen peroxide - this should be used only once since hydrogen peroxide can delay healing if used repeatedly.
  3. Apply neosporin ointment to growth once the bleeding has stopped.
  4. Prevent Sassie from licking/biting at the mass which may cause infection or further bleeding. You can buy an E-collar at your pet store which should work. Otherwise, depending on the location, you can try covering it with a t-shirt (if its on her chest or abdominal area.

If it doesn't stop bleeding, she will need to have it evaluated. You should try calling your vet first to see what the costs are to remove the mass (if necessary) and if they'll work with you - most vets will! If they don't, call other clinics and shop around.

For more information on sebaceous adenomas, I recommend you check out: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1934

I hope this helps!

-------------------------

Remember to click REPLY if you have any additional questions or ACCEPT if you are satisfied with my answer. I am not compensated by the website unless you click ACCEPT. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J, Veterinarian