Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have an 11 year old male cat who for a long time now will…

Customer Question
I have an 11 year...
I have an 11 year old male cat who for a long time now will throw up once a day, alomst every day. This does not necesaarily happen right after eating. Many times what he bring s up is a brownish liquid but there can also be what appears to be a small amount of undigested food. In addition to the vomiting, his stools appear "mushy" for lack of a better word. I can't afford to bring him to the vet as I am unemployed. Right now I have him on "Taste of the Wilde" dry food. Before that I tried Natural Balance-limited ingredients for allergy sensitive cats. It gets expensive trying different foods. Other then these symptoms he seems healthy and active-for an 11 yr old cat. Any suggestions as to what might be going on with him? It's very early in the morning and before sending this question I was in bed reading a book and heard him in the living him throwing up. After cleaning that up is when I went online to ask about this. He came into my room and laid at foot of bed like always then with in 20 minutes got off the bed and -did it again-second time was all liguid. I'm at my wits end with this.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Veterinary
7/1/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

If you can't afford to take him to the vet, go to a pet supermarket and get some laxatone or other hairball formulation. Give him a small amount daily for a week, then once or twice per week thereafter. It is possible that the vomiting is because of hairballs, even if you don't see the actual hair in the vomit.

I would also purchase a dewormer (you can get it at the pet supermarket as well) and deworm him, just in case. Even if he doesn't go outside, it is possible that he has harbored worms in his intestines for a long time, and that may be the cause of the mushy stools.

You may also need to try different foods as well. Sometimes it can take a while to find the right one, especially for an older cat with sensitive digestion.

I hope this helps.