Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

hi i have a guinea pig and he drinks alot of water, he is also…

Customer Question
hi i have a guinea...
hi i have a guinea pig and he drinks alot of water, he is also very skinny but eats well,he is very jolty and you can see his heart beating all the time .he also sleeps alot.i took him to the vet today and said he might be diabetic, they said theres nothing they can do for him.is this true.thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/29/2010
Veterinarian: Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian

Hi there

From the symptoms that you have described, i think its probably correct that he's diabetic- a sample of his urine tested by the vet for sugar would confirm if this is the case, but i'm highly suspicious that it is- as i had a diabetic guinea pig several years ago with all the same symptoms!

Its hard to stabilise diabetes in a guinea pig, as the only real way to treat it is with injections of insulin daily, which guinea pigs don't like- and is also very expensive.

My advice would be to let him enjoy his life while he can- and keep his cage as clean and dry as you can- as they do pass an awful lot of urine with this disease! It can help in some cases to give a drug called 'Laurabolin' which is an anabolic steroid that can slow down the loss of weight to a degree, but personally i wouldn't advise insulin injections for a guinea pig- i didn't treat my own with insulin when he had it- he lived a happy 11 months from diagnosis until he passed away.

Hope this helps

Regards Andrea