Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

German Shepherd: I think my 95 lb..swallowed..I knocked a bottle…

Customer Question
I think my 95 lb...
I think my 95 lb German Shepherd swallowed something he should not have. You know the little clear plastic cap that would go on top of a can of hairspray? I knocked a bottle on the floor and had the water running so I didn't hear the cap come off. When I turned around I was him chewing on something and the cap was gone. I am not 100% sure he swallowed it but it is nowhere to be found and he was trying to hide something from me in his mouth. I am worried. He is acting normally but I'm concerned.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/29/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about this possibility with your little one. These situations happen commonly - did they eat it and is it going to be a problem? We can't most likley see something like that on an x-ray to know yes or no. Could we attempt to make him vomit and see if it comes up? That is a possibility. If it does - great! If it doesn't - is it still there or not? The one problem with making him vomit is it could get stuck in his esophagus if it is there. So, most of the time, I will have owners monitor at home for any vomiting, abdominal discomfort, loss of appetite for a day or two - if seen, then it may be stuck and he should be seen. At this point, I would continue to feed and water him as normal.

Ok - so you'd suggest I keep an eye on him, look out for obvious changes in behavior like vomiting, seeming to be in pain, how about drinking a lot of water?? Would you expect something like that would pass? Our other shepherd swallowed a popsicle stick and he vomited it up so I will hope it comes out one end or another. do you see any reason to take to him to a 24 hour vet tonight or just keep an eye thru the night?
Would something like this pass? Possibly if in small enough pieces. And that is totally unknown at this time how large it is and how many pieces. If you want to take him to the 24 hour vet and see if they feel comfortable making him vomit (if you were here at my clinic, I would give it a try to see if it did come up), you can.
Ok - but my last question - do you think it would be dangerous to wait until morning.
I wouldn't say it is in the "dangerous" category. Waiting to see if signs of blockage isn't a bad decision. Waiting days to be seen after possible signs of a blockage are being displayed is in the "dangerous" category. I hope things go well!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Thanks for your help. I can't believe he would swallow something like that but I'll watch him closely and take call his regular vet in the morning, especially if I see signs of trouble. Thanks again.
Sounds like a good plan! Good luck!