Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 5 yr old cocker spaniel has had vomiting and diarrhea for…

Customer Question
My 5 yr old cocker...
My 5 yr old cocker spaniel has had vomiting and diarrhea for approx 5 days. She is also drinking quiet a bit more water than normal. We think that she may have gotten into a container of dog biscuits, but not certain ( our lab got the rubbermaid container off the cabinet) I began giving her rice w/ hamburger and pepto bismal 4 days ago, but skipped the pepto yesterday and found a mess again when I got home from work.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/29/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Kris, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Hi

I'm Dr. Kris.

Try fasting your girl for 24 hours. She can have water but don't let her overdo it. Plain flavored pedialyte would actually be better for her since it would replace lost electrolytes. If she can't keep the water down then you'll need to get her to the vet where they can put her on IV fluids. After 24 hours offer her small amounts of a bland diet like boiled unsalted unseasoned skinless chicken breast (or hamburger meat) and some white rice (1 part meat to 2 parts rice). Offer her a small amount (2 tablespoons) and if she doesn't vomit after 3 hours, give her some more. You can feed her 3 small portions that day. The next day, feed her a normal amount of food split into 4 meals. Continue that for 5-7 days before returning to her regular feeding schedule.

You can give her some pepcid AC (famotidine) instead of the pepto bismol at a dosage of 0.5 mg per kg body weight every 12 hours for no more than 7 days. This should help to soothe her stomach and can be given during the fast.

If the vomitting or diarrhea do not improve, if she cannot keep anything in her stomach, if she becomes lethargic or anorexic or if she seems to be in a lot of pain then get her to the vet as soon as you can.

I hope this helps.
I'm signing off for the night but if you have more questions I'll answer them when I sign on tomorrow.
I will give that a try, thank you! I have seen a little blood in her diarrhea, is this normal or should I be concerned? She is definately not herself, but does not seem to be in pain. When you mentioned if she becomes anorexic, do you mean if she stops eating?
Sometimes when they've had diarrhea for so long there can be some blood. If the diarrhea gets more bloody (looks almost like blood only) then definitely take her to the vet. Yes, I mean if she stops eating or doesn't want to eat after the fast.

Also forgot to mention she seems to be running a fever, seems warm to the touch and has warm/dry nose. Is this normal?

The fever could be the result of an infection. It may be best for you to take her to the vet sooner rather than later since she seems to be getting worse. She'll need antibiotics to help with the fever and vomitting and diarrhea.

You can check to see if she has a fever by using a human digital thermometer. Lubricate the tip with KY jelly or vaseline and insert it about 1 inch into the rectum. Wait until it beeps to read it or leave it in for a minute before reading. A dog's normal temperature range is 100-102.5F.

If the temperature is over 103F, a trip to the vet would be a good idea. If you can't get to the vet today, you can use cool damp towels or wrapped ice packs on her back, abdomen and feet to bring her temperature down. Also, you can put some rubbing alcohol on the pads of her feet. Giving her cool water (not ice cold) will help too. You can check her temperature every 20 minutes until it is back within normal range. Remove the ice packs at that time and check her temperature every hour to see if the fever has returned and repeat the cooling process if necessary. If her temperature is over 104 F then she needs to see a vet asap.
Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian

Thank you so much, you have been very helpful. I would recommend this service to anyone!

You're welcome. I hope your girl gets better soon.