Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

my daughters guinea pig has developed a bad eye. I only

Customer Question
my daughter's guinea pig has...
my daughter's guinea pig has developed a "bad" eye. I only noticed it today, so it's a recent development. It is protruding slightly, and very cloudy, slightly red around the edges. What is going on?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/28/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

The eye could have suffered trauma, there could a tooth root infection, an eye tumor, an eye infection and inflammation are all possible. The eye should be flushed 3-4 times a day with plain saline used for contact lenses or artificial tears from the grocery store. If the swelling persists, you need stronger meds from your vet or the eye may need to be removed.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Just following up...we took Racer to the vet and he was diagnosed as having had an on-going ear infection which left him unable to blink in one eye and they eye was permanently damaged, also, the infection had started bleeding internally. Racer was not given good odds and we chose to euthanize him :( He did have an ear infection 6 months ago which we treated with drops and antibiotics, but this infection went unnoticed even though we play with him daily. Thanks for your help, Sue
Sorry to hear that. That is an unusual problem for a guinea pig.