Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

just find a turtle on the street the shell broken still alive…

just find a turtle on...
just find a turtle on the street the shell broken still alive what do I do to keep her alive
6/28/2010
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian

Your best bet is to call around and find a rehab center to take care of this turtle. Call your local ER vet and they should have some numbers for you. This is not something that will need to be repaired right now, but in the next 12-24 hours.

What we typically do is sand down the shell then apply a layer of fiberglass followed by epoxy and then another layer of epoxy. We let that dry well before allowing them back into water.

In some of the more severe fractures, there may not be enough shell to repair it and these turtles are euthanized.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
<p>need more information some one tall me to glue the shell did I have to live her in the water?</p><p>need answer as soon is possible thank s</p>
Do not put her in water and do not glue the shell. Just keep her out of the water and give her food- veggies, insects- until somebody that knows how to deal with this can repair the shell.

We typically keep them out of the water for 12-24 hours before we do anything to allow the shell to dry completely. It's not really an emergency that you need to address right this minute. Just put the turtle somewhere with food and a water dish and get it seen whenever you can.
what gree n letuce I have dan the lion I don t know please help me
Lettuce is fine and you can add some insects, worms or even run to a pet store and get a commercial turtle diet.

Adult turtles only eat a few times per week so if it's not eating, you really don't need to worry.

Again, call a rehab place when they open in the morning- you are not going to be able to repair this shell yourself. Get in touch with somebody who can repair it and provide the care it needs or drop it off somewhere to be euthanized. Those are your options.