Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

kitten: is 2 months old and keeps sucking on my earlobes..aggressive…

Customer Question
My kitten is 2 months...
My kitten is 2 months old and keeps sucking on my earlobes and gets very aggressive when i try to pull her away....Why?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/28/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Gene, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Hello, thanks for using JustAnswer.

Your kitten is sucking on your earlobes because she was probably weaned off her mother too early and is now basically nursing - a behavior that has abnormally persisted due to the early weaning.

The goal is to eliminate the situations that will result in her access to your earlobes and to redirect her when she does attempt to nurse.

I would do the following:

1. Do not let her sleep with you until she no longer attempts to nurse/suckle.
2. Provide as many appropriate oral behaviors as possible. Make her lick and chew her food as much as possible - e.g. moisten dry food and put it in a kitty toy, Kong or similar, smear a little butter or cream cheese into a grooved toy, provide verbal praise and pats for appropriate oral activities.
3. Make sure you rotate the toys, so they are more likely to remain interesting. Start some active games - play chase games, laser pointer, etc; also throw a toy when he comes near your head (keep some paper near you and crumble a piece and throw it when he comes near).
4. See if he'll suckle on an object, such as your old t-shirt, so that he hopefully takes his attention off you.

It should take no longer than a 3-4 weeks for this behavior to stop if you are being consistent.

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions; best of luck!