Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

cat: startled..(the house is air conditioned) and he was panting…

I stupidly took my cat...
I stupidly took my cat out for a walk about 45 min ago - it is very humid. We were out for about 15 minutes and something startled him, so he ran to the back door, we went in (the house is air conditioned) and he was panting. He proceeded to run away from me and now I am not sure where he is in the house. I want to make sure he is ok. Will he eventually calm down? I am really worried and feel like an idiot for taking him out for a few minutes. He is a medium fur length cat about 3 yrs old.
6/27/2010
Dr Will
Dr Will, Veterinarian

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer!

Don't beat yourself up too much... he should be fine. He is a young cat and the short walk and stress of the fright should have no longterm effects.

Cats often open mouth breathe when they are nervous or frightened. If he is in the air conditioned house, he will cool down and give him a couple of hours and he should get over his fright.

Dr. Will

(If I have helped and answered your question please press the ACCEPT button first. Then, if you have further questions,, or if I need to clarify anything, please ask. My commitment is to excellence and I will be as thorough as possible. If I have exceeded your expectations, Positive feedbacks and Bonuses are always appreciated. -- Thanks!)

Dr Will
Dr Will, Veterinarian
Thank you. Your answer was very reassuring, but I am still a bit worried as it has been over an hour that he is in the house. He just came into the room with me and my husband, sat on the bed and panted again - then suddenly ran out of the room. I just am wondering why he keeps running away like that.
I am also worried that I will stress him out beyond belief if I try to get him to an emergency vet.

Hi again,

Do you think what startled him could have been an insect sting? such as a wasp or bee?

I bet its more than just fright since it has lasted so long. I know it will stress him, but if you can pick him up, look him over well. See what you find. If this keeps up another hour, I am sorry, but you should take him to the vet. He may need a shot to counteract a reaction to a bee or wasp sting.

Dr. Will

Dr Will
Dr Will, Veterinarian
Thank you. I will continue to watch and if it does not subside soon, I will take him to the emergency vet down the street. Thank you again!

Your welcome and best of luck to you!

Dr Will