Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My puppy Luna received her 3rd set of booster shots and rabbies…

Customer Question
My puppy Luna received her...
My puppy Luna received her 3rd set of booster shots and rabbies vac. on June 18, 2010. At the dr.'s appointment we notified the dr. of a skin rash and the doctor prescribed Simplicef 1/2 tablet once a day. She's been taking that up until June 25. On June 22, she took her once a month heart worms meds.

On Friday, June 25, she woke up fine and playfull at 6:30 am and had a bowel movement (solid). She ate very little puppy food/water and started becoming lethargic. She had another bowel moventment at 11:00 am (solid). Did not eat anything the rest of the day and starting vomiting yellow bile. She would not drink anything except Ice Chips. She did not have a bowel movement the rest of the day and night. We called the Dr. and they were not able to get her in on Friday. They said to give her Pepcid AC 1/4 of a tablet for the stomach. She slept the rest of the day and night. Did not move much, just to go to the bathroom.

She woke that morning playfull and would only eat from my hand. She ate very little 1/4 can of wet chicken puppy food. She drank some water but not from her bowl only from a cup. She looked like she was getting better, because she was playfull now. But still no bowel movement. She did not eat anything the rest of the day only ice chips. Throughout the day she keep sitting quickly as if she's trying to stop her self from deficating. Later that night she started vomiting yellow bile again around 8 pm. Much more than Friday. After she threw up her stomach started was making a lot of noise. She had some egg smelling gas. She seemed miserable. She wouldn't move just curled up into a ball. We gave her another 1/4 tablet of Pepcid. Around 11:00 pm she threw up again. At 1:00 am she started feeling better she ate some dry puppy food from her bowl and drank alot of water from her bowl. No more throw up. She slept the rest of the night.

This morning she still has not had a bowel movement. She woke up playfull and ate/drank again from her bowl (not much, but more than she has). I'm not sure if she ate something upseting to her stomach or something is blocking her from deficating. She is still very gassy.

Luna was born Feb. 23, 2010. We received her from the animal shelter on April 25th. She's a Shep/Lab mix. And we think some Chow too. She weighs 13.4 lbs. She's is a house puppy and we decided not to let her outside until she's had her 4th set up boosters because of parvo.

We plan to take her in tomorrow to see her Dr. but are worried something could be very wrong and perhaps should take her to get emergency care.

Any ideas of what this could be? How can we get her to have a bowl movement. We did find a plastic stick with the end chewed off and a few pieces on the ground. The plastic stick is part of a cat toy - has a string on the end with a toy to dangle.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks you!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/27/2010
Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

What it sounds like you are describing is as possibly occurring with Luna is colitis or inflammation of the large bowel. The signs can be very intermittent and would explain why she was normal at times and then having GI symptoms returning. The signs with this condition can vary in severity, from normal stools to mushy to very soft, all even within one day at times. Seeing mucus or blood is not unusual as well. There is a sense of urgency to move their bowels and many of the pets will strain to have a BM, and then nothing passes, which to the owner can almost look like they are constipated. Many pets with colitis have GI discomfort and many will even vomit. It is also not uncommon for them to experience the foul smelling gas that you describe. I know that you haven't seen any soft stools, only vomiting, but keep in mind that her eating was decreased and I would be willing to bet there is a mix of soft stool and or mucus in her colon.

Colitis can have many causes including intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, food allergies or intolerances, metabolic disturbances from internal organ malfunctions, viruses, toxins, cancer or even stress. In her case, it may have even been set off by the antibiotic therapy. A stool sample analysis is a very important part of getting to the bottom of this as intestinal parasites are one of the most common causes especially in young dogs.

Until you can get in to see your vet, I would give her GI system a rest. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. As far as feeding her, you will want to offer frequent, small meals (a tablespoon or two) of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. Because she is such a small puppy however, if she vomits anymore throughout today or doesn't want to eat, you may want to seek emergency services. Even if this is all that is occurring, sometimes they can feel pretty lousy and the risk of dehydration in such a small young dog is high. She may benefit from some fluid therapy as well as medications given by injection to help the vomiting if it continues. It is also possible that there is something else going on and the sooner it is identified the better for her.

When they have been going on chronically, these GI disturbances can be frustrating to diagnose and treat and sometimes we don't even find the cause, but concentrate on controlling the symptoms so our pets are comfortable. In her case, since it appears to be an acute flare up, there is no reason to think that it won't resolve completely. Good luck with her and please let me know if you have any further questions.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Thank you. What signs do we need to watch out for that would cause us to take her to get emergency services?

I think if she has continued vomiting, lethargy or shows no interest in eating and drinking, I would be wrried enough not to wait until Monday. Also if she seems uncomfortable enough that she can't settle down.

If she eats (even if it's less than normal), drinks and keeps it down and is acting pretty normal, I think you are ok to monitor her until your vet is open.