Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

dog: behavior issues..Food aggression, biting other animal…

Customer Question
I got my dog ten...
I got my dog ten years ago from the SATO program in Pueto Rico. She has had behavior issues since we got her. Food aggression, biting other animal and harming them if they come to close, nipping at people if they startle her and drawing blood. So unfortunately I think she is unadoptable and therefore thinking of putting her down because of the following reason: I need to move to a rental and cut my living expenses by half and I already have 3 cats and 1 more dog. The stress of having her is really getting to me and I really just don't want her anymore. But I do feel really guilty about it. I signed an agreement with the shelter that if i ever had to give her up i would bring her back. But they are 1200 miles away and I cannot afford that. What do you think, should I bring her to a no kill shelter in town or put her down. I know she would be very stressed out without me and I'm mentallly not there for her anymore.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/27/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian

Hi there. I'm Dr. Elaine

Sorry about such a difficult situation.

I think the important thing to keep at the forefront of your mind is what you have given for and to a pet who might otherwise not had much if any chance at a quality life.

Everyone can define "unadoptability" in their own way, and with VASTLY differing standards.

Unfortunately, for most of us who work around pets, it is often difficult to place an older dog with a family, let alone one with behavioral issues that actually pose a danger to the new adoptive familyEmbarassed

I would offer the suggestion that you actually speak with an experienced individual at a shelter/sanctuary as well as with a trainer so you may get various opinions.

Here is a link to info on aggression that is quite good: http://www.petplace.com/search.aspx?c=0&q=aggression&x=30&y=10

The decision to euthanize in cases of behavioral problems is not one I make easily, however in this case, from what you have described, this is not the wrong decision. Is it the only one? No, certainly not. Do we live in ideal world where this would never have to happen (I'm not trying to be facetious)? No to that as well.

Please be at peace with whatever and whenever you make a decision. The guilt may feel real to you, but I don't think that you own it.

Kindly, Dr. Elaine