Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our cat has been loosing weight over the last three or four…

Customer Question
Our cat has been loosing...
Our cat has been loosing weight over the last three or four months. He still eats the dry cat food we give him. We have added moist cat food as he has gotten to the point of being too thin. He doesn't act like he is sick and still is active. We haven't been able feel any tumors or growths. He is a 13 year old cat.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/26/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Hi there.

Older cats with a good appetite commonly get a hyperthyroid condition that causes them to become very thin even though they are eating. The best thing you can do is to take your guy into your vet to check his lab values, If he is hyperthyroid, the treatment is simple and this will help him gain weight.

If he is not hyperthyroid, then this is due to your cat becoming older. the digestive tract in older cats becomes less competent and they do not take in all the nutrients that they take in. IN this case, you have to feed him more often with higher calories.

Good Luck!!