Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

my cat ate rat poisoning what do i do

Customer Question
my cat ate rat poisoning what do i do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- What is the name of the rat poison?

2- How long ago did she eat it?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

we suspect that she ate rat poisoning, we don't know when she ate it .she weighs about seven pounds. my mom is buying it now hydrogen peroxide?

If it has been more than 45 minutes, giving her hydrogen peroxide to vomit is not going to help as the poison has moved out of the stomach. Plus, giving milk was not a good idea as this promotes the absorption of the poison.

Most rat poison work by inhibiting the coagulation and system causing bleeding. Your cat at this point needs to be treated with Vitamin K1 as an antidote to prevent bleeding. She needs to be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Consider taking her to ER vet.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter