Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

horse: think my..my poor..watery looking eyes, but not weeping…

Customer Question
I think my poor horse...
I think my poor horse is suffering from hayfever? Watery discharge from one nostril, watery looking eyes, but not weeping if you get my drift - symptoms very recent (this week). He's not usually particulary susceptible to dust type irritations. I've tried to keep him out as much as poss and when he does come in he has wet hay and wet food. What else can I do, any such thing as piriton for horses?

Lizzie
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/25/2010
Veterinarian: Dr Will, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr Will
Dr Will, Veterinarian

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer!

Sounds like it could be allergies and if so, it would worth trying an antihistimine such as piriton. Piriton is chlorpheniramine maleate. Usually it is administered by IM injection in horses because it requires a large dose -- 200mgs once or twice a day. The pill form of piriton is 4mgs so it would take 50 pills once or twice a day. The usual protocol is 200mgs once daily for 5 days.

Avoiding dust and mold spores is a great idea -- as you are already doing.

If the antihistimine doesn't help, speak to your vet about using a steroid called triamcinolone. The usual dose of 16mgs IM once every 8 days for 3 injections. Then once monthly to control allergies after that. There are contraindications to the use of steroids in horses, so follow your vets advice and directions because he knows the health status of your horse.

Best of luck and I hope he gets better soon!

Dr. Will

(If I have helped and answered your question please press the ACCEPT button first. Then, if you have further questions,, or if I need to clarify anything, please ask. My commitment is to excellence and I will be as thorough as possible. If I have exceeded your expectations, BONUSES are always appreciated. -- Thanks!)