Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I found both of my hamsters dead last night. I am distraught…

Customer Question
I found both of my...
I found both of my hamsters dead last night. I am distraught over it because I feel like it was my fault. I was not good about cleaning their cages. My boyfriend disagrees. He found them- one was splayed out and no signs of blood. THe other had blood in the mouth and nose and on its paw. Can anyone tell me how they may have died? I would like to know if it is likely from the dirty cages. It seems strage for both to die rigth around the same time. I feel terrible right now.

a little background- the one with no blood visible was fairly young- abouta year- but has always seemed oto dirty his cage quickely/ excessively. the one witht the blood was older, around 2 years but has seemed to be healthy.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/25/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Lisa, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Veterinarian

Hello:

I am Dr. Lisa, and I am so sorry for your losses. Losing one is bad enough but 2 babies at once is almost overwhelming...

The deaths may be the result of dirty cages, if you used an aromatic bedding (like cedar/pine) and the chips became urine-soaked with very poor ventilation.

It also sounds like either:

(1) trauma: either to and from each other, or from an outside source

(2) toxin: a cleaning agent, something they ate (any type of rodent poison?), something inhaled.

The only way to know for sure is through a post-mortem exam from your vet (http://www.aemv.org/).

Again, I am so sorry for your loss,

Dr. Lisa

***********************************************************************************************

If you are satisfied with this answer, please press the green ACCEPT icon. If you have more questions about this problem, please press 'reply'. Thank-you.