Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

cats: 10 year old..year old female..vomiting..2 weeks & had diarrhea…

Customer Question
A few months ago one...
A few months ago one of my two 10 year old female cats was vomiting approx. every 2 weeks & had diarrhea for weeks. Both had been eating & drinking so didn't know which cat it was. One of them suddenly dropped so much weight it was obvious who it was & I took her to the vet. Blood work didn't tell much, she was dehydrated & an xray showed intestinal inflamation & where empty. Discussing it my vet kept coming back to cancer & said to be sure he would need to cut her open & find out. I said no & wanted to treat her "symptoms" first. Even if she has cancer I won't do chemo so cutting her open isn't an option. She was rehydrated, given antibiotics. She was better right away but still had diarrhea. I treated her myself with childrens Pedialyte & started giving putting OptaGest (a digestive supplement) on her food. She's done good for a couple of months but not gaining any weight. She acts hungry & begs if I'm eating chicken or fish....so I've been giving her chicken at night. Occassionaly she'll throw up hairballs and/or clear liquid. This concerns me but she eats, drinks, & uses the cat box so I've just been watching her. Now she's feeling lethargic again & last night threw up the tuna I gave her and this morning was throwing up white foam and wouldn't eat breakfast. I'm taking her back to the vet today. What else could be going on besides cancer. She doesn't go outside, isn't getting into anything toxic. Maybe it's her thyroid, pancreas, liver...why won't my vet try treating her for something else. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/24/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
HI there.

Does your cat still have the diarrhea?

Has she gained any weight?

Thanks!

She hasn't had diarrhea since I gave her the OptaGest. Her bowels might be a bit softer lately but not diarrhea. She seemed to gain a tiny bit of weight after I started the OptaGetst but may have lost that and is still very thin. One other thing mentioned at the first vet visit was inflamatory bowel. He gave me steroids (for the inflamation if I recall) but I never gave it to her. After the diarrhea stopped and she seemed to feel better, I decided to just watch her and see how she would do.

Hi again and thanks for the info.

These symptoms could be due to Inflammatory Bowel Disease and this would require further diagnostics to determine this,. If your vet performs an endoscopy with biopsies, they can get a biopsy which will tell you for sure what is causing her symptoms.

This present episode could be unrelated to the other issues and may indicate kidney Failure, These are the first symptoms of this.

I would also worry about a hair ball obstruction which would cause this vomiting. The older cats do not have a digestive tract that works as well as when they were younger and this condition could be as simple as that.

It will be best to have your vet run lab work and if this is normal, proceed to further diagnostics so you can get some peace of mind and treat your girl correctly.

Good Luck!

Would blood work confirm kidney failure? And if it is kidney failure....is it treatable?

Yes, this is he best way to know for sure and I am sure this is the first thing your vet will do. If this is the case, there are treatments for this unless the damage is permanent. In your case, this seems unlikely and flushing her system of the waste products will get her back to normal assuming there are no other concurrent issues.
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Thank you so much! I appreciate it!
You are very welcome!!

I sure hope your gal feels better soon!!