Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

my 8 month old puppy woke up with his right eye swollen and…

Customer Question
my 8 month old puppy...
my 8 month old puppy woke up with his right eye swollen and the top of his nose on ther right side was also swollen. He has been having mucus coming out of both eyes this past week and will scratch his eyes with his paws.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/23/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello. I am sorry to hear about this concern. I will wait for you to join chat so we can discuss.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Andy :

I have two separate concerns.

Dr. Andy :

#1

Dr. Andy :

The onset of swelling is strongly suggestive of either a hypersensitivity reaction (like an insect bite or sting) or is secondary to a more severe infection.

Dr. Andy :

#2 The mucus coming out of the eyes may be due to a already exisiting conjunctivitis (eye infection) or even a upper respiratory infection.

Customer:

how do i tell?

Dr. Andy :

The pawing at the face is dangerous. He is going to traumatize himself and cause a corneal ulceration (if he hasn't already).

Dr. Andy :

How to tell? You can't

Dr. Andy :

My #1 rule, which I have brought up in 2 other questions already today, is that when swelling is present, you need to get into a vet. Much sooner than later.

Customer:

we gave him a 25mg benedryal and it seemed to take the swelling down

Dr. Andy :

Most reactions require more immediate anti-inflammatory treatment, as well as, an antihistamine.

Dr. Andy :

Yes. That makes sense for a hypersensitivity reaction.

Dr. Andy :

He would greatly benefit and feel a lot more comfortable if he got a little short acting steroid injection as well.

Dr. Andy :

Plus, I do not doubt he needs some eye medication +/- an oral antibiotic depending on his evaluation.

Customer:

so i should still take hi to the et tomorrow even if it isn't swollen in the morning

Dr. Andy :

How much does he weigh?

Customer:

ummm15 at the most

Dr. Andy :

If he is swollen right now.....I would take him in tonight. I would just hate for him to be uncomfortable the duration of the evening.

Dr. Andy :

At 15 pounds, you could easily give another 1/2 tablet of benadryl every 8-12 hours, but he needs that steroid to help with the swelling as well.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Andy :

You are welcome.

Dr. Andy :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I also greatly appreciate positive feedback, after you click accept, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. I can only be credited for my time, if you click accept. Thanks. XXXXX