Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

13 year old..feed him thinking he needed to rest his belly..dry food…

Customer Question
Good Morning, I have a 13...
Good Morning,
I have a 13 year old Male Irish Terrier...Yesterday I came home from work to find that he had an accident (very loose stool with drops of blood). I didn't feed him thinking he needed to rest his belly.... I gave him a 1/4 of a cup of dry food this morning and let him out and he had the runs again with more blood. I don't think this has everr happended to him before. He hasen't gotten into anything that I can think of, but did stay with my boyfriend last week, and I was told he got into some dry cat food. Will this subside, or should he got to the vet? Thank you in adavnce for your time.
~anna
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/22/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello Anna,

You have certainly done some good detective work for me already. Withholding food for the day was also a very good idea. It sounds like we need to try some more things however.

First of all, is he acting normal otherwise? Still bright and alert and happy, drinking water? If so, good.

If not, then he needs to go to the vet.

Are his gums nice and pink? If so, good. If the gums are white or bluish, then he needs to go to the vet. Any vomiting?

I would suspect that he has colitis (inflammation of the colon, which we have by definition whenever we see blood in the stool) due to the cat food. However, we don't want to assume anything. It could be due to infection, or parasites.

Assuming everything else is normal, for now, you can try giving him immodium, at 1/2 the adult human dose, twice daily and see if that stops the bloody diarrhea. Feed him only boiled chicken and boiled white rice. Give it 24 hours and if he is not back to normal, then he needs to go to the vet for evaluation. The vet should do a fecal exam (to look for parasites) along with a physical exam. If he is pooping normally in 24 hours, continue with the chicken/rice for a few days, and then go back to the regular diet. If you are not sure about him, then take him to the vet to be checked out.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Dr. Bruce,

He has pink gums... I don't believe that he has vomitted (though, he eats it up again), and he is alert and has an appetitet. I don't think that I can get a stool sample (thats how loose it is) I will try white rice and boiled chicken for 24 hours.

Thank you,

~a

Hello Anna,

Let me know if you need any more information or if you just want to give me an update on his condition. Reply to the other question that you already accepted so you don't have to give another deposit.