Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

our dog was having allergies and we normally gave him a couple…

Customer Question
our dog was having allergies...
our dog was having allergies and we normally gave him a couple of bendryl per our vet. We were out of it tonight, and I thought one Tylenol pm were help him stop scratching and calm him down. Now I'm concerned if it is safe for a dog. he is a 125lb black lab. Will the pill harm him?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/22/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Jenn, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Veterinarian

Hi there

I would not give the tylenol Pm! This is not safe or appropriate for your baby. It would be better to give nothing.- Perhaps there is a 24 hour drug store in your area. In the future buffered aspirin (Bufferin) can be used for pain if needed- 325mg-- give 1 1/2 tablets by mouth-you can repeat the dose afterXXXXX Jenn

Sorry for not being clear, I did in fact already give him one pill and am now concerned about it. I recognize this was probaly not the best idea - but will it harm him?
What time did you give it?
About an hour ago. He seems to be acting fine, but we became concerned after we gave it to him. He is 125lbs and it was 500 mg pill of whiich 25 mg is diphenhydramine
I would induce vomiting-as the main ingredient is toxic for dogs! Even though your baby is large-I would still not take the risk! You should give 3% hydrogen peroxide by mouth- 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds. You can repeat another dose after 10 minutes if he does not vomit.
Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Veterinarian
Hopefully your baby vomited up the pill-if not he should be seen by a vet right away, hopefully there is an emergency clinic in your area.