Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

pig: pet..nasal..weve seen her rub her nose at the same time…

Customer Question
Our new pet rabbit makes...
Our new pet rabbit makes a repeated honking sound which sounds very nasal (pig like). It happens when she's just playing and we've seen her rub her nose at the same time... What does this sound mean?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Veterinary
6/21/2010
Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
My name isXXXXX and I would be happy to help you with your question.

What an unusual situation! Rabbits have rather unique respiratory anatomy and there isn't a lot of room at the back of their mouths where their windpipe meets up and enters the nasal sinuses. Also, rabbits cannot vomit. This can result in something being trapped in the esophagus and poking up towards the sinuses. I have seen this happen with electrical cords. The cord then irritates the nasal passages and causes honking when the rabbit is stressed or active.

Or, your rabbit may have some kind of foreign body, growth, or infection in its sinuses causing the respiratory honking. This possibility is even more likely if your rabbit is eating and drinking just fine otherwise.

To get to the bottom of this, your rabbit will need a trip to the veterinarian.